1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

G&L L2000 K mod vs. 1st Gen SB-2... Anybody ever compare the two?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4stringsjack, Jul 8, 2017.

1. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    Slim chance? Maybe, but figured I'd ask. I've got a 1st gen '83 G&L SB-2 (two MFD single coils). It sounds wonderful. I've also got an '82 L2000 Series E. I've been debating about whether to do the K mod on it (switch to turn on the outer single coils). Has anybody ever compared the two? Are they very similar (and therefore, not worth modifying my L2Ke)?

I know the SB-2 single coils will not be the same as a coil tapped MFD humbucker. The SB-2 pickups have two polepieces per string, for one thing. I'm also reluctant to tweak the L2Ke because it's quasi-vintage, and who knows if I might try to sell it someday. Thanks, all!
    g&l l2k sb2.jpeg

2. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Can't compare the K mod to the SB-2. But my bass came from the factory with the mod. Really like the option. Personal opinion is do not think it would detract from resale value since it is a something that is available from the factory, but who knows. If it was an issue, is it something that could be reversed?

K Mod would at least give you more options on the L-2000. If the mod ends up giving you a sound similar to the SB-2, might give you a reason to sell that bass.

3. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Jersey
    The K mod is easily reversible, so I wouldn't think it would be too impactful regarding it being quasi-vintage.

4. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. I *really* like the SB-2, but if I can duplicate the sound on the L2k... Well, I have far too many basses (if that's possible).

5. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Technically, coil tapping and running a dual coil as a single are two different things. True coil tapping is where there is a "tap" halfway thru the coil, and you use that. Single/dbl is different. Very few pickups actually tap.

6. I can offer my opinion, currently having both a Lynx and n L-2000 with factory K-switch, and having previously owned a couple L2K e-types.

Obviously all three models are monsters. That's a given. But if I had to rank them for their sound, I'd go with something like this (surprisingly?)....

L-2000 in s/c mode = Huge, bright and articulate.
    L-2000 "e" (stock) = More Huge, nicely articulate in treble boost mode.
    Lynx = Godzilla Huge and articulate.

Unfortunately, the damn Lynx weighs fully ten pounds so I never take it anywhere. Regardless, I won't let it go even if I can only play it at home for short periods. It's that amazing.

4stringsjack likes this.
  7. That SB-2 looks really nice. Is it heavy?

4stringsjack likes this.
  8. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    I haven't weighed it, but it feels pretty comfortable. I'd guess around 9.5 lbs, give or take a little. It's one of my favorite basses.

Thanks for the L2000 s/c vs. L2000e vs. Lynx comparison- that helps!

I played the L2000e at a gig last week (in parallel mode, active w/treble boost) and got some good compliments on the tone. I'm taking the SB-2 to this weekend's gig, along with the L2000e, to do some on stage A/B comparisons.

9. Dunno if you'll be able to exactly duplicate the SB-2 sound by modding your 2Ke with a K-mode, but you'll only know for sure by trying. In my case, the L-2000 in s/c mode does not sound just like the Lynx, they sound very much different. Similarly, my L-1000's in s/c mode don't sound like a Lynx/SB-2, either.

One thing, is that while the pickups on both basses are MFD's, they are very different animals to begin with. I'd be surprised if isolating one coil of a MFD humbucker will produce a signal that is identical to an SB-2 pickup.

Add in the fact that the pickups and preamps in a L-2K-e are different versions than what is in more recent models (like my current L2K), puts you in uncharted waters.

Should be an interesting experiment! :thumbsup:

4stringsjack likes this.
  10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Probably not.
    But, In my opinion, you've got one of the BEST sounding single-coil bass pickups ever created and the BEST bass humbucking ever created goin' on there. Be happy with what you have... tone in abundance!!!!

4stringsjack likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021