G&L L2000 or EB Stingray/Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Feb 12, 2006.

Which Bass?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2006.
  1. G&L L2000

50 vote(s)
  2. EB Stingray

47 vote(s)
  3. EB Sterling

18 vote(s)
  1. Hey Guys,
    I am so torn between these basses. Economically, I cannot(well... shouldn't)buy them all at this time.What do you think I should do? Opinions?
  2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Start a telemarketing scam ring, rob a bank, mug and old lady at the bank machine, there are many avenues you can take.
  3. I have a Tribute G&L L-2000 (i know, not quite the same thing) and i love it, it's perfect, though i do want to put some different strings on it, dunno how to explain it but they're really....tight, can't get into the groove as well as i want, but it's still a badass bass, plenty of tonal options, i can get a pretty good sting ray out of it, though i'm sure that does depend on the speaker system as well. I've talked enough, get the L-2000, you won't be sorry, or you could just play all three and pick whichever you like the most!
  4. I've owned a couple of stingrays and have an L2500. The L2500 is a versatile beast and the stingray, pretty much a one trick pony. I'd say the L2500 is better in the construction department from my experience with stingrays, although they are both extremely well built. Both are great choices depending on what you want.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you like bigger necks, stingray, if you like smaller necks sterling.

One trick pony, whatever. I dunno about anyone else , but once i find my tone, i dont change my knobs, i use my fingers. I can change my tone with my figners more than any EQ can do. All you need is one tone.
  6. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    The G&L is a versatile, workhorse. I've had mine since 1986, and it is the best bass I've ever owned. I have a Marcus Miller Jazz, a '62 P-bass, a '52 P reissue, a '79 Music Man Sabre, Fender Jazz and Sadowsky 5-strings.

I always come back to the G&L. It works and sounds great in ANY situation, and it has a silky smooth feel, and a killer arsenal of tones. The ONLY negative I have found, is that the lack of shielding in the control cavity can create a bit of noise. Shielding foil or paint takes care of that.

Just my $.02
  7. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    My '79 Stingray was the first 'good' bass I purchased (new back in '79) and I love it. If it is a one trick pony it's one hell of a trick!
  8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ignore the foolyoes who say a MM is a one-trick pony.

But get the G&L, It sounds nicer and can get more sounds, and feels nicer, and looks nicer.

This is not my opinion, this is documented fact. :rolleyes: :)
  9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a G&L L-2000 ( I ordered it with the smaller "jazz" type neck), an L-2500 Tribute, and an EBMM Sterling. All three are fantastic...no real complaints on any of them. The Sterling has a smooth, sanded neck. Very thin and nice for playing fast. Fells nice under my fingers. The G&L L-2000 has a poly coated neck...little stickier (not that it is "sticky", only compared to the Sterling) it still feels nice. The Sterling is quite a bit heavier than the G&L. The G&L's pickups just sound amazing...really aggressive and hot. Plus the electronics on the G&L can be switched up to sound like many other types of basses, including a passive mode. The G&L Tribute 5 string is pretty nice, but you can tell it's not of the same quality as the 2 USA mades...but for 500 bucks...it's kick ass. I voted for the G&L because the tone is one that was made in heaven. It just sounds "right"! The Sterling is a very fine bass, though. I don't go for the fatter "P" style neck as on the stock L-2000 and the Stingray, so that shuts down those for me. If you like that kind of neck (1 3/4")...check into the Stock G&L or the Stingray....if you like the Jazz (1 1/2") neck, go for the Sterling or the special ordered G&L
  10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't they make a two humbucking 'ray now?
    That'd be the ticket;)
  11. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    the g&l l-2000 kills the stringray.......dont know about the 2 humbucker stingray though.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, i have one on order

2 pup ray > g&l
  13. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I don't see how one can say that Stingrays are one-trick-ponies. Between the 3 band EQ, the strings you use, and most importantly your technique, how can one not have multiple tones? If a Stingray is a OTP, then so is a P-Bass. :D

I will say that Sterlings have a bit more of quickly-accessable tonal versatilty, because of the Series/Parallel/Single Coil switching capability.

I've never played a G&L, but if I had to choose between a Sterling and a Stingray, I'd go for the sterling.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A P bass is undoubtably more of a OTP than a stingray, it doesnt even have an active eq.

I dont think a Stingray is a OTP at all, i dont argue with people that say they are because, well, if you claim ANYTHING is a OTP, obviously when THEY play it, it may be.
  15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    As you can see, 40 ppl recommend an EB.

G&Ls are cool if you like switches. I like to play.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a damn good point, Figjam. I really can't see a bad choice between a G&L and a MusicMan. The two pickup Stingrays will really give the G&Ls some competition but the two do not sound alike. Just play them and pick what you like, whatever you get, it will sound just fine.
  17. CentralCoastBass

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    if you just want to play, get an eb. if you want tone, go for the g&l.
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What a poor statement.
  19. CentralCoastBass

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    well, all you need is one tone.
  20. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1. It's so close to my hands/ears that you might as well just flip a coin. Not that they're the same axe.. just that they both are equally great instruments.