G&L L2000 Owners Need Your Opinions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Hey Guys,
    I would love to hear your opinions on the L2000's. Your likes and dislikes any info would be great. :)
  2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Two thumbs way up. I love mine!! Its a solid instrument, very versatile, plays amazing. Feels great, well balanced, great electronics. It offers alot of tonal versatility. Theres alot of threads about them if you do a search. Heres a few links:

G&L L2000 vs Fender Jazz

Show your G&L's

G&L L2000 clips

Theres a ton more. If you take a look you'll see that bass has been discussed alot. Good luck.
  3. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    I have an older L-1000 that I modified into basically L-2000. Just so you know these basses are easy and fun to modify. I added a G&L pickup (same model as the neck) and a Ken Smith preamp for very little $$. I also had the brige pickup wired for a coil tap to try to get kind of a PJ pickup configuration sound. I also had a custom pickguard made for mine with made it easier for me to slap. KILLER! $350 dollars for the bass (used) and about $300 for the rest of the parts/work and it kills most basses out there as far as versatility and TONE. My opinion is get one because it will serve you well and they are good "all-around" basses for multiple styles.
  4. Thanks for the help Fellas!
    What about the battery compartment? 5 or 6 screws to remove right? how is the battery usage? Any stripped screw hole horror stories out there?
  5. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I recently got an ASAT (same guts as a L2K with a Tele body) & love it. It has quickly become my #1 bass. I once read a description where someone called it the "swiss army knife of basses". That couldn't be more true. It's very versatile & can emulate some classic tones, but has it's own G&L identity.

Battery use doesn't seem to be too bad, then again I just got mine in August. The changing of the battery is a little bit of a hassle, but here's the thing - the passive mode on those basses sounds great too! I know of many people who ONLY use the passive setting.

Be warned though - the pickups are H-O-T. If you have an active input pad on your amp I highly suggest using it.

Fantastic basses.
  6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH

They are dang hot pickups! Really ballsy! I've had my L-2000 for more than a year...the battery still doesn't need changed yet. I mean...I play in a practice setting about once a week for a few hours at a time. It still sounds sweet! I got mine brand new and it really is one of the best sounding basses I have ever heard. I ordered it with the #8 neck (like a Fender Jazz). It's lighter than my EB Sterling, but packs a more versitile sound. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!
  7. timo1999

Nov 4, 2005
    You really can't go wrong with this bass. There are tons of tones that you can create with the L-2000. Each pole piece is adjustable to fine tune an even sound for each string to adjust to your playing style.

The pickups are REALLY hot. Using "Bass Boost" I sometimes had trouble with some lower end bass heads because the signal could be distorted for a split second due to what I think was a surge of signal that was wat too much. You won't have this problem with any of the quality bass heads.

Also, the mid tone of these basses are easy to EQ, and you can cut right through a mix.

I sold mine because I felt the neck was a little too wide, but if you can get the option of having more of a Fender Jazz neck, then that is something to consider depending on your preference.

8. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Mine does have the #8 "jazz" neck with a birdseye maple fretboard. Very smooth & fast playing neck. There are crazy good deals on used G&Ls out there right now, but I think the secret is slowly getting out...
  9. I agree with ThumbyAche, this is most versatile bass I've ever played. It's cutting through the mix very well in live or recording sessions. There is link to my thread with some clips of my L2500 which is very very close to L2000. I hope it's helpful!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209886 :bassist:
  10. Thank you guys for all the help.I really appreciate it.
    I'm torn between the L2000 and a Yamaha RBXJM2.I know that sounds weird!
  11. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have an ASAT and it is my #1. The only reason I play my Ibanez is because I put flats on her.

I didn't change my battery until a year after I bought her and I hadn't noticed any change in sound. I should have tested the battery. I think the battery drain is very low, especially if you play in passive mode all the time like I do. I do use the active mode when my strings are dying and it helps bring some life back into them.

I did have to change my technique, but for the better. I have developed a lighter touch so that I don't overdrive my preamp.

If you can get a L2000 with a #8 neck (1.5 nut width and "12 radius) I would suggest it. I love the neck on my ASAT and they come with the #8.
  12. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Has anybody got an L-2000 or L-2500 with an ebony fretboard? How could the tone be described compared to one with a maple fretboard?