G&l l2000 pickups and electronics??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jared21, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Jared21

Jared21

Jan 15, 2011
    Hi, ive found a really nice l2000 body on ebay and I was wondering where and how much the whole electronics would be for the body and what makes can fit in the body??? :)

2. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Not sure why G&L doesn't sell the 4 string pickups on their site, but the 5 string pickups are $129 each. Maybe they just have a shortage of 4 string MFD's right now. There was a preamp on sale here for $175 or so, might still be in the emporium.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    There's good news and bad news. The good news is that a great deal of the G&L electronics is available one way or another. Pickups are around and can be picked up in the $100 or so range.

But a G&L is a very unique instrument and to simply drop some normal active preamp into it (like say an audere) will produce a completely different bass. But it is relatively simple to duplicate the PASSIVE portion of the G&L circuit. All switches, pots etc. are available for sale from various suppliers on line. But nasty is the G&L circuit board. I'm not sure those can be obtained. So the bottom line is you end up with a very nice G&L where only the passive mode works. That isn't a real biggie since a great many people prefer the passive tones in the G&L. That "active mode" is just a bit of high boost anyway which you can do on your amp.

So it's an interesting project, but a perhaps a bit more subtle than you might have thought.