G&L L2000 Preamp Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scott Cutrer, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    My L2000 seems to work just fine in the passive mode, but when I flip either the active bass boost or active treble boost, the volume actually drops from the passive volume and I get a flat dull signal with no high boost or low boost for either of the active selections. It really does sound great on the passive side, but I am not sure that my active preamp is working. I have changed the battery and the strings and even raised the PUPs. Also it is 10 years old and a fretless, for what it is worth. Any info would be appreciated.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm having a problem w/the pre-amp in my '84 L-2000. The 3 settings for the pre-amp switch sound exactly the same. My tech say's it might be the chip in the pre-amp that went south. I have to order one & replace it. Might be the same or similar problem w/your bass.

Good luck.
  3. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Even if they are not obligated to repair those basses by way of the warranty anymore, I wonder if G&L might work with you on it. Don't hold your breath, I've heard their customer service people aren't that great, but it can't hurt to try 'em. Guess it all depends on who you get on the phone and how you pitch the story.

I think good customer service entails standing behind products even after the obligations on paper are no longer in effect. Nothing stimulates return business more than good customer service. Even if a company has great products, poor product support can really create a reservoir of ill will towards the firm.