1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L2000 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Oct 12, 2009.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Hello Fellow Bassists. I was wondering do the G&L L2000 basses produce a deep P bass tone when dialed in, or are they a more agressive extremely bright sounding bass always. Let me know I want to sell my american deluxe jazz and american Precision for one. I want a bass that can get deep like a Precision, But yet have ample treble when i need to cut through. Let me know your thoughts on these basses please

Sincerely Grower571

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You pretty much described the L2000 to a T. You won't find a bass that's deeper/punchier than an L2000. Then if you need some MORE, flick the switch and turn on the preamp. Then if you need treble boost, one more flick engages the treble boost circuit.

If you ask me, you can definitely sell your P and J both and get an L2000. G&L's contruction is also quite a bit better than those other guys :)

3. Thankful birds

Thankful birds

Jun 17, 2008
    Phoenix
    Most versatile bass on the market in my opinion. You can get the p-bass sound, the music man sound, and anything in between. Plus, they have better sustain than their counterparts due to some heavy duty hardware. Great basses.

4. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I have a 2008 L2000 that was gigged once I will trade you for an active Jazz, or P/J configuration.

The L-2000 is a great bass, but I prefer the Fender tone. Mine has been sitting quitely in the corner.

5. Hi, I own 2 L2000 basses and they are great.
    However, I have to disagree- to me they do not sound like a jazz or like a P or even a music man. I think if you get into one thinking you can get all of those sounds out of one bass, you will be disappointed. You can get in the neighborhood of those tones, but not quite there. Sometimes it sounds like what I think a jazz or p should sound like, other times I miss the sounds available on a jazz or a p...... how's that for fickle?
    IMHO They have their own sound- which I love. Deep punchy very beefy sound.
    Can't quite get the open ended single coil tone as a Jazz- to my ear. There are some single coil mods on this site that I would love to try. As always, I could be mistaken....

6. drden

drden

Nov 11, 2008
    Troy, NY
    Amen to everything in the thread. I haven't played one through my rig, but it definitely satisfied my hardcore p bass needs through the Ashdown I used at GC.

7. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    I find the neck pickup to have more of a "boxy" P bass sound if that makes sense (lots of cut). Not quite as thick and soupy (though I have yet to try flats) as you might want. You can get lots of thump in series mode with the treble backed off.

Neck pickup in series sounds a lot like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jX8Cen21sc

Without the single coil mods it can't quite do the jazz burp either.

They kind of have their own tone.

Overall sound I find to be very open, gritty and organic with everything from growly cut to smooth thump depending on settings. My favorite is both pickups, passive, parallel, bass at 50-60%, treble at ~75%

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I had an L-1000 for about 13 years and a L-2500 for a couple. They are a very versatile bass. The L-1000 in "single coil with bass boost" ("OMG mode") had _A_LOT_ of low end. The L-2500 seemed about the same.

I occasionally think about picking up an L-2000. I don't really regret getting rid of either the L-1000 or the L-2500. I really prefer my p-bass to both of them. The p-bass puts out "the right amount of low end" for me. The L-1000 put out too much. "OMG mode" was hard to get past. I should probably have played with it in parallel mode or turned down the passive low end cut. I rarely did.

You can probably get an L-2000 to do a pretty convincing p-bass and j-bass impersonation. The MFD pickup remains one of my favorites ever. I don't think it'd be a terrible mistake, but given one or the other, I'd rather have a p-bass.

KO

9. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    With the neck PU soloed you can get pretty close to a Precision sound. Close enough that noone at the gig or session will care much more even notice that, while it kind of looks like a Fender, it's not quite a Fender.

Attached is a clip of my L2000 trying to imitate a bright sounding Precision. Mine's fretless and has flats on it so it doesnt have quite the same grit of a fretted one, but it gives you an idea. It's close to a Precision but not quite there. Close enough tho.

The L2000 is a better made bass than the Precision as well, its pretty much a Precision with fixes and supe-ups made by Leo Fender himself. So it's worth it for that alone.

My carvin bunny actually does a slightly better Precision bass imitation when I use its neck pickup, but the L2000's MFD pickups add an extra heft that you just can't get out of a Precision....

LS

10. Amazing Basses - you will get all that your are asking for and I think you will love it. One of these is on my GAS list for sure. There are have been a few on here in the Classifieds for great prices - suggest finding a dealer near you and give one a test run.

11. I agree with this. I'm new to G&L, been playing Fender P-basses for 25 years and just a few weeks ago got my first G&L, an L-2000. It's definitley in the same family tonally, but a bit more aggressive to my ear.

I've posted elsewhere how impressed I've been with my L-2000 and wish I'd discovered G&L years ago. I still love my Fenders and Rics but the L-2000 is a keeper for me, the build quality, tonal options and playability are first rate.

12. There's a gorgeous L2000 in the Classifieds - if you have the cash I would grab it. I want it - so nice!

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    That's the best P imitation on an L2000 I've heard yet! :bassist:

14. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    You can't cop a J or P or Ray tone from an L2000. You can get something similar though.