Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G@L L2000 ?'s

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by poman, May 18, 2003.

1. poman

poman Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    I have a L2000 that in passive or active makes a clipping noise (going through any kind of amp or D.I.)when you play. Almost like you're clipping an amp type noise ( and no I'm not clipping the amp...I realize how hot these pick ups are...it does it at very low volumes ). Could it be the preamp chip? I mean would it even do it passive if it was that? Also I am looking for a SB-1 pick guard ( p-bass type), if any of you guys have one laying around. thanks, Mark

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Oops, wrong forum. I'll send you over to the Slab side.

3. I had an L2000 for a bit and encountered some of the same type of issue. Try dialing the eQ on it down then slowly crank them back up until it starts clipping again. I thought it was a preamp problem as well and tried different preamp chips to no avail. Once I figured out where the settings needed to be that bass kicked some serious a$$.

4. also...just for reference I don't think I ever dialed my mids up past 25% or so and it still sounded REALLY powerful with the pickups in series.

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Have you tried it in passive mode? That solves many of my gain issues with my L2000.

6. poman

poman Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    yes, I have tried it in passive mode...still does it...and also at almost any EQ

7. ever replaced the battery?
    There is also genrally a small trim pot, or some dip switches in the control cavity that can cut the db output