1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L2000 sound issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hubietone, Mar 30, 2009.

1. hubietone

hubietone

Mar 30, 2009
    Heres the deal. When I play certain notes like D through F (5th to 8th fret) on the A string, the note will continue to ring(continue to sound, ghost note) even after releasing the string. I can mute the string with my finger, start at the first fret, and as I go up the neck sounding the notes, some will thud, like they should, but others will continue to ring. Does this in active and passive, and any combination of pickups, and settings. Swapped strings, no change.
    I saw the post about the springs. My pickups are all the way down and tight. I backed them off all the way trying to solve my problem. The volume I play the bass at does not seem to have an effect, it will still display the same problem at low volume. Its like the pickup is just super sensitive to those specific frequencies and just has sustain and an overtone.
    Tried a different amp. Tried a different room, even had the speaker in one room while I was in another. Does it at any volume. As I stated it does it at certain notes especially on the A string, so it makes you think it is frequency related. How about the pickups being microphonic? Only thing is it does it in any one of the three pickup combinatiions. I can fret the D note(5th fret) on the A string, release/remove my finger and you get that sound. Its sounds like the note just hums. Other notes do not do it.
    This is not your basic harmonic tone. It is obvious that there is something wrong. You can play a progression on the bass and when you hit the problematic notes, they do not sound right. Its like the note just takes off and runs on..
    Any help would be appreciated

Thank You in advance

2. double check the springs. do you get a ringing chiming chorus like tone when you just tap on the pickups? tap hard and try and make it ring. even with the pickups tightened down, you might still have some play in there.

at the suggestion of someone when i had similar problems, i cut up a mouse pad and put the pieces underneath the pickups and tightened them down. the ringing vanished...

3. What a strange and interesting problem (at least to me because i'm an acoustics engineer).

I'm not sure i'm understanding though...sound clips would be nice.

The only thing that comes to mind right now are sympathetic vibration of the other ( open) strings. Might try damping or detunig E, D, and G slightly to see if one is ringing. Also, does it ring if you release the note but keep your finger on the a string to damp it?

Les
    L M Watts technology

4. hubietone

hubietone

Mar 30, 2009
    I will check the springs this evening. It is so dominate it's hard to belive it's the springs, but I will check.
    Yes, when I release the string it will continue on.
    Muting the string lightly and sounding the note gives you a thud, but when I hit one of the "bad" notes, it generates this continueing note/sound as I have tried to describe.

Thanks for the replies and help

5. The 5th to 8th frets would be where the first set of strong harmonics exist... is it possible that you're hitting harmonics when you lift your finger to mute?

6. Mossyrocks

Mossyrocks

Mar 28, 2009
    Australia
    Certainly sounds like resonance in some part of the bass being excited by notes being played.

I'd be looking at springs first since they are vibration prone, and the continuation of the resonance after you mute the note seems about right for springs. I had a set of spring problems in the past with a BADASS bridge, but they didn't ring for very long.

Cheers

7. hubietone

hubietone

Mar 30, 2009
    Performed the following:
    Neck screws evenly tightened (tight to start with)
    Tuning keys all tight and solid
    Nut is attached, strings seated in their slot
    All bridge mounting screws were tight
    All saddle height adjustment screws in contact with bridge
    Saddles are all level and saddle lock set screw is tight
    Checked electronics for broken leads, bad/cold solder joints.
    Inspected the pickup underside for bad connections and loose construction.
    Checked the pickup springs. The springs had the little rubber dampers in the springs. I added a piece of foam under the pickup, and between the springs, making contact with all three.
    When trying the bass I tried every combination of guitar volume, amplifier gain, and amplifier volume, it did not matter.
    I tried two different amps, a different guitar cord, with a new battery, without a battery in the bass.
    I have had the amp in one room while I was in another.
    It does this in active or passive mode.
    When I play the C(3rd fret) note on the A string the note sounds and when I lift my finger off of the neck (maintaining contact with the string/muting) the note stops.
    When I do the same thing on the D(5th fret) on the A string
    the note sounds and when I lift my finger off of the neck (maintaining contact with the string/muting) I get this microphonic sound.
    Not much left other than a pickup issue or possibly the string construction or material is causing me problems. I did replace the A string with one I had but it did not make a difference. Both strings were the same manufacturer, GHS Boomers. Any string recommendations? I play in a blues band, don't slap or pop, my tone is important.The bass has always sounded good and has not been abused or modified.

Thanks to everyone who have tried to solve this problem

8. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Have someone hold the headstock and try it again. If it still rings, I can't guess what it might be, But if it stops ringing, you can trying modifying the neck and body combi as a resonating pair. You have the opposite of dead spots and frankly most necks have this in greater or smaller measure, but maybe not as extreme as yours. One of those headstock weight plates might help. Just my guess.

9. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Hmm . . . perplexing . . . you might try a different brand of string and see if you can eliminate that variable.

10. That is a harmonic. This is a feature, not a bug :)

You will notice the same behavior at the 7th fret, the 12th fret, and in other places with less severity.

There is nothing wrong with your bass!

11. hubietone

hubietone

Mar 30, 2009
    This is not a harmonic feature of this bass. It did not do this in the past. When you play a progression and hit one of these problem notes, you immediately hear that something is wrong. When you release the note you will continue to hear this microphonic ( I use the term loosely) tone continue to sound.

Thanks Again

12. Very odd... it certianly sounds like it is related to harmonics. I would guess that you're action might be too low. The string is hitting on the higher frets, buzzing against it and creating that tone.

Can you record a clip?

But baring hearing anything else weird, I would say raise the string and you should fix this.

13. I had this exact problem with my L-2500. I stuffed some pieces of flexible foam (packing material type) into the springs and it quieted them right down. If you don't have foam, try some cotton balls or anything else that will dampen the springs' resonance without interfering with their function.

14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'm intrigued.

This ringing overtone - can you hear it coming from the bass acoustically? (Turn the amp off.)

Can you turn one pickup off and see if it is still there? After that, try the other pickup.

Since everybody is saying pickup springs, how about removing them from the equation? You see to have already dismantled it once; do it again.

Sometime I get noise from a pickup spring when my thumb pushes down on the pickup and the pickup moves. This does not sound like your problem, but my solution might work for you. I remove the springs and put a piece of foam in the pickup cavity. With the right amount of foam, the pickup is held firmly in place at the desired height.

How about a different amp/cab? Has it developed a problem?

The trick to solving wierd problems is systematically isolating and eliminating possible causes. You've made a good start; don't let frustration win out.