1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L2000 strings--Which strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lastminute, May 6, 2010.

1. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    I have a G&L Tribute L2000---swamp ash body, maple fretboard. I'm going for a rock-oriented sound....Goldfinger, Anberlin, Muse, Switchfoot, Flyleaf, Thrice.

I've gotten recommendations for DR Hi-Beams, DR Lo-Riders (ss), and GHS Boomers. Anyone else have some more suggestions?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dunlop Nickels on mine. Love them!

3. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    ..............It's a personal preference mostly. For Rounds I like the Rotosound BS66LD Billy Sheehan Stainless set, and for Flats I like the Rotosound RS77LD Monel Flats. I have several G&Ls, and I play mostly rock............These are just my personal choices for the "L" models. :cool:

4. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    flats- LaBella 760fl
    rounds- GHS boomers

Matt R likes this.
  5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I absolutely love and highly recommend DR Highbeams. I have them on both my L2000 and L2500. It's like I found the sound I was looking for in these strings.

6. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    +1 for Dunlop Nickels. I recently moved from DRs to these.

7. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    DR Lo Riders (ss), D'Addario XLs, or TI flats depending on your mood/tastes.

The LabBella tapewounds are nice too.

8. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    GHS Bass Boomers. They have a warmth and richness that tames some of the G&L's bite.

9. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Maple board? HiBeams will cut like a razor, but you might not like the bottom end. Stick to nickel, Dunlops are a good start.

I moved away from steels for all my G&L's, and, believe it or not, I'm using pink-pack Slinkys on 3, and the other 2 are using John Pearse and SunBeams. My preference is for a string that has a fast transient with the full harmonic content when plucked, picked or slapped, and doesn't take a few milliseconds to 'bloom'- except for the fretless, which is wearing the SunBeams.

YMMV.....