1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L2000 Tribute and Non-tribute, difference???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrShawn2U, Oct 26, 2006.

1. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    I found a bass for sale, a G&L L2000, guy says its not the tribute but is the more expensive version, how can you tell the difference??? If its not the tribute, then I would imagine $600 is an exceptional deal correct??

2. $600 would be a good deal, depending on condition. The Tributes have the word "Tribute" on the headstock (in larger letters for the older ones, and smaller font starting recently). You'll also find "Tribute" stamped on the bridge. There are other differences, but these will be the easiest for you to spot, so no need to list them.

I own a tribute and have played the US version. I liked them both. Again, depending on condition, I'd buy the one you're looking at.

Mike

3. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    Thanks Mike, you like your G&L?? I play my Fender P-bass primarily, MIA dlx model. I have not found a bass that I like better yet, how does the G&L compare? What kind of pickups do they use, I have never played one but I have heard alot of good things about them. What do these basses generally go for, I was thinking its a $1000+ bass, am I right??

4. Love it. As far as a direct comparison, I'll have to defer to the general consensus that the G&L can do the P tone "on steroids". The pickup configuration and preamp allow it to do decent approximations of some other sounds (musicman come to mind), as well. There is a thread in the G&L forum where somebody posts their favorite settings and how to get close to what.

The American G&L's have the luxury of different neck radii and widths, so there is no way for me to tell you how this will compare to your P, it could be one of several.

The pickups are G&L's magnetic field design (MFD). A search will help you with the details (I'm fuzzy here, but I like how they sound). Brand new these basses sell for a little over a $1000. Depending on what options have been checked, they can go for several hundred dollars more. Used, well, that's another story. G&L's have historically had a fairly low resale value. This has crept up in recent years (coinciding with the release of the Tributes, if I recall). A quick check of completed listing on ebay has USA L2000's going for anywhere between $550 to about $800.

Personally, if you have the money and like the sound, I'd check out the bass out for issues and see if they'll take $550, but $600 ain't bad. Off the subject...what color?

Mike

5. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Tributes all say "Tribute" on the headstock. If you look closely, you will see that on a US G&L the neck is bicut (cut down the center of the the neck) to install the trussrod whereas the TRibute is a traditional "under the fretboard" construction. $600 is an excellent price if it's in good condition, the typicall go for around $1100 to $1300.

6. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    Mike, its transparent Green, pretty sharp looking. I dont really have the money but I could do it if it was a great deal. But based on the prices you have said, I am not sure it is a great deal, a good one but maybe not great. I will have to think about it. I have noticed this bass many times, it started at $1000 now the guy is down to $600. I got some thinkin to do! I dont really need another 4 string, but of course I still want it. lol

7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Recent US G&L prices off of Ebay:

$660
    $790
    $510 (some dings)

You advantage is that you don't pay shipping and you can check the bass out personally. Personally, I think $600 is a great price if it's close to mint.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021