G&L L2000 Tribute Microphonics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Sherreard, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Just got myself a gorgeous midnight blue L2000 Tribute Series for a decent price. As a P Bass fan I’m loving the neck and body shape and I’m getting adjusted to the variety of sounds. However, I’m a little bugged by a sympathetic ring, seemingly coming from the neck pickup. Tap it and you get a high pitched ping sound it’s also there when you flick the switches.
    Is the pickup microphonic or is it something else. I’ve tried shouting into the pickup at high volume but I can’t hear myself.

Any ideas please?

Attached Files:

2. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    The pickup is mounted on a spring, which is what you’re hearing. Stuff some foam in there and it should go away.

Congrats on the bass, btw. :thumbsup:

Torrente Cro likes this.
  3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    try just lowering the pups. I dropped mine down to the deck.

4. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    This ^^^

I had a precision with same symptoms and foam solved the problem.

5. B0A1E307-4704-4A37-97C0-ACE5B2563285.jpeg

Attached Files:

silvertripper likes this.
  6. Absolutely right guys. Another Leo quirk I guess. One really bad idea for supporting the pickups fixed like this 5553B64C-E4CF-471E-8991-DFA2EFA02E82.jpeg

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yep, Stuffing those green rubber foam filled ear plugs down the springs sort of works, but if you want to be sure, foam support eliminates all metal.

A problem with foam is that the thickness of the foam when compressed limits the adjustment range of pickup height. The most compressible foam is real black rubber weatherstripping. You do not want Urethane foam for ANYTHING. much weather stripping foam out there is polyurethane. It self-destructs in a year or so and become crumbly mess. Real rubber may also but takes MUCH longer. The most long lived and stable is polyethylene foam (as seen by Nick above. He still has springs, however and best would shove ear plugs down them. I just leave springs out but the poly foam is not very compressible so once you decide what height you need the pickups you sort of need to adjust how thick the foam is under the pickups. Works great though. It is what all my G&Ls use.

8. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Not really...

> The mounting springs are a more sophisticated (read; more expensive) system and more adjustable (read; better) than a typical crude slice of foam.

> Under Leo's watch, every G&L left the factory with a small piece of rubber inside the springs, which eliminated spring vibrations. After Leo died, BBE took over and for some unknown reason they skipped that crucial step. Left undampened, the springs can vibrate enough to be heard by the pickups. Amazingly, the "spring ping" issue was apparently ignored for years by BBE. Imagine how many sales were lost during that time.

9. I’m pretty sure that spring issue is why I got this bass for a steal. Pickups were screwed right down so my output when I took it out for a gig was lower than my passive BB. I’m restringing it at the weekend so I’ll probably foam the bridge pickup too for good measure even though it’s not really giving me the same issues.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021