Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L2000 Tribute or Yamaha BB414

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    These 2 basses are about the same price. They both look really sweet. Any thoughts on which would be the better choice?

Thanks,

Skel

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Skel -

To my way of thinking, these are two different animals.

The G&L Tribute has a number of different tonal options:
    * Active/passive electronics
    * 3-way mini-toggle pickup selector
    * Series/parallel mini-toggle
    * Preamp control mini-toggle (off/on/on with high end EQ boost)

Lots of different combos there -- but awfully complicated to some folks.

The Yamaha is a passive instrument with only two tonal options
    * 3-way toggle (P, J, or combo)
    * Master tone

Dead-bang simple -- and depending on what you're looking for, that's cool.

To my way of thinking, the quality between the two is comparable (especially since we're talking about a Tribute as opposed to a G&L.)

Assuming you consider the cost and cosmetic preferences are equal, it comes down to what you're looking for from a tonality and versatility standpoint.

3. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    I own the tribute and can say for its price its very high quality.

just about all the parts are made in america(its constructed overseas though) in the same place as high end G&Ls. They share some of the same parts as their big brothers too. The main difference is in the pickups/electronics.

Some ppl dont like the feel because the frets are big and the neck is like a pbass, but i dont mind it. Its a good bass for slapping and you can get alot of sounds.

I dont know much about the yamaha, but i thought id tell you about what i know.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well, I'm almost sold on the Tribute. I'm a pretty simple guy, but having all those tonal options can't be bad, as long as you can have the basic passive tone as default. I still don't understand if the blueburst finish is considered standard or custom - as I LOVE the looks of the maple fretboard, but think I would be happier with rosewood, and don't know if you can get it in rosewood. Also, am I getting this right? You get the Tribute bass, including a hardshell case for $469.00? This is at boyntonproaudio.com. Seems to good to be true.

Last, chilliwilli - you say the neck is like a pbass - I have a MIM p bass, and I really like the neck, but anything bigger - like a 2x4 I would not like.

Skel

5. Akirabanana

Akirabanana

Dec 12, 2005
    Kingston, On
    I'd like to second the comments on the neck, If you are comfortable with a P neck you should be fine. The one I played sounded excellant in most of the tonal options. It was just that I couldn't get comfortable on the neck with out straining my hands. But I do have small hands. The sounds coming out of the bass are excellant!

6. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I own a Yamaha BB615, the active five string version of the 414 and it is a great bass for the money. The Tributes are also excellent for the price, (I used to own a USA L2500). You will probably get a wider variety of tones from the Tribute L2000 but I like the tone of the Yamaha.

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    KeithPas -so I take it you like your BB615 better than the L2500 you had? How would you describe the difference in the necks between the two?

Thanks - Skel

8. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I owned that L2500 a few years ago and I loved it, I just had my eye on something else at the time. With regards to the tone of the L2500 I would say I liked the slap tone alot, probably the best slap tone of any bass I have owned. I like the favored bridge position tone of the Yamaha better; less bark and more growl than the L2500. I also like the favored neck pickup position of the Yamaha; very Fender P like in tone. To my ears the setting of the Yamaha with both pickups favored equally sits in the mix a bit better than the equivalent tone of the L2500. Remember, this is all very subjective and others may have had the exact opposite experience I me. Good Luck