1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L2000 with Big Blademan pups.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by popinfresh, Sep 11, 2019.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Curious if anyone has tried this combination yet?
    Looking at picking up a Premium or Tribute L2000 and doing a swap.

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    No offense but.....why? The MFD pups are amazing, L2k the most versatile bass i own.

Spidey2112, iunno, JIO and 7 others like this.
  3. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Why will be the only answer you will get here. They pretty much nailed the MFD design.

The preamp is a bit odd though, so if you like active tones a preamp swap would change the tone more dramatically than new pickups in the same location would.

The MFD is also a slightly irregular size, so some routing or custom pickup work would also be required.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yes, IMO the MFD pickups are a defining characteristic of these basses, so folks rarely consider swapping them out.

If the OP wants active, rather than add a preamp to an L-2000, you could just get the active-only M-2000. The pickups are slightly underwound relative to the L's, and it has a traditional three-band active EQ. I have an M-2500, and it's fantastic.

RandM likes this.
  5. If I could change the design of the L-2000, the very LAST thing I would want to change is the pickups.

6. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    You are going to get a lot of why (and a lot of people telling you that you will get a lot of why).

Thoughts/things to consider.
    1. Doubt you find anyone who has done that swap most do not swap out MFDs. If you are interested in that pickup specifically, you might get more traction just asking about the pickup.
    2. Not sure what your goals are, but you might find something that already fits your goals (like the suggested M2000)
    3. You will need to see if the pickups even fit correctly. Judging purely from pictures, it will either require routing or you will have some of the existing route exposed due to differences in the pickup shapes.

7. I would also add a Why about the Pre Amp, it's a little odd, but not much, easy to work out and work with, has a proper passive option and is very very versatile.

The ONLY changes I would consider would be to include single coil in the switching and V/V instead of the Pup Switch, but the damn thing's so versatile already, I know that's only unnecessary navel gazing.

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Another thing to consider is that the Bog Blademan pickups appear to only be available in MM-shaped cases, which are quite a bit bigger than the MFD pickups. You'd have to route the body for MM pickups.

bdgotoh likes this.
  9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Cheers for the replies everyone. No offence taken to any of it. It's more a curiosity as such.
    I own a HH Stingray which I think I'll likely add the Blademan's too, however the pup position on the G&L is what has me curious.
    I know this will come across as a partial groan worthy statement to a few, but chasing some Wal-esque tones without the price tag, basically.
    I'm impartial and would be happy to route out a tribute or cheap premium for the experiment, I wasn't actually aware of the size difference as I haven't held a G&L for around 12 years.

Pre-amp wise, do you guys have any suggestions considering the above?

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Plenty of other basses worthy of this mod, but the G&Ls with MFD basses aren't in that group...that's what Fenders are for.

iunno and RandM like this.
  11. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe

^^^^^^^^^^
    this 1000 times

Gilmourisgod and RandM like this.
  12. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ive modded German Warwick $$s with bigman and big blademan pickups.
    Those are really cool pickups.
    I used the wicks bc I got them really cheap.

If you love the way your l2k plays then I’d go play the nordstrands and decide what you like.
    I tend to prefer them in singlecoil.

Go from there.

You might end up with with your idea of perfect playability and sound.

13. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I think the L-series by itself can get pretty good Wal-esque tones depending on how you pluck the strings...especially if using a pick.

The above was recorded using both pickups in series with Active/treble boost engaged.

I actually had a Pensa 2-band preamp (usually used in Custom Penza Jazz Basses) in my L2500 for 20 years and recently put the original preamp back in. The original sounds MUCH better...I don’t know what I was thinking...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    bmac314 and mikezimmerman like this.
  14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Cheers somebrains.

It will be a suck it and see, I don't currently have an L2000 but have just been eyeing them off. I do remember playing them a long time ago and enjoying the neck feel so I'm willing to take a punt.

Not much of a purist either so I may try out the blademans in my HH 'Ray and see what they do tonally and then make a call on the L2000.

eastcoasteddie - I'm at work currently and only got to have a very quick look at your video. Looks like some great production and sound though, cheers for sharing!

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Off topic deviation.. There's a 1998 US L2000 for sale over here that would cost a few hundred more than getting one of the Premium Japanese L2000's. I remember reading that G&L changed something in the pups and they used to be darker. Would the '98 be in this era or is that earlier again?
    Also has anyone tried the Japanese Premiums to compare to a US made? The 98 is a 3 bolt neck where the Premium is 6. The 98 also has a flamed top which looks quite nice but the fit and finish on the Premiums to look to be right up there.

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just listened all the way through, great video man and nice choice of song. I have been loving the new album.

I think it sounds great, a bit more warmth/presence and maybe a little off the top end is about the sound I'd be after.
    I am going to drive around 10 hours round trip starting tonight to look at a Titan V12/PH610 rig and I'm thinking that with the mid eq available on the Titan I may very well be able to get close to what is in my head.

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  17. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I must say that I wish it was my video...
    The video is by a guy in Poland. He has another video of that bass from 7 years ago, it was converted to fully passive then. He recently had the preamp reinstalled.