1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L L2500 2008 bass sound clips, enjoy!

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by lovenotfear, Sep 27, 2008.

1. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    i thought i would post some sound clips for those who are curious about how this bass sounds and what it can do, i recorded these sound clips with the EQ set flat, and with no effects, the bass is set to series mode for these clips, and preamp on, really there are so many settings with series, parallel, passive, active, active treble boost etc.... i just stuck to active series mode for these clips, i played some very simple things to show the different tones you can get, I hope this helps people who are thinking of getting this bass make their decision, click on the links to download

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/75669/bridge pickup series active finger style.mp3

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/75669/both pickups series active finger style.mp3

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/75669/neck pickup series active finger style.mp3

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/75669/both pickups series active slap style.mp3

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/75669/neck pickup series active smooth walking bass line.mp3

2. Sunnspot

Sunnspot

Jan 26, 2008
    Heard your clips, and I am already using tow of your suggested settings!

Thanx!!!
    Sincerely,
    Sunnspot

3. Sunnspot

Sunnspot

Jan 26, 2008
    BTW just to make it legit, I am an ASAT user. I have a beautiful blonde beauty, with the maple neck!

Sunnspot!

4. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    sweet! thanks for listening, i hope these clips give people an idea what G&L's can do, in fact in my opinion there is nothing they cant do! they can fit any situation.

5. francisl2500

francisl2500

Jul 19, 2006
    quebec
    Thank for these links. That is great to hear these sounds and that gives very good feelings of what that bass can do.
    Francis

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ah, but for some of us the passive sounds are the best in the L series. Either way it's a remarkably versatile instrument

7. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    i agree passive is awesome, as a matter of fact i use either passive in series, or active in series most of the time, for some reason i do not use parellel much though, but i find passive gets me a very vintage tone on the neck pickup.

8. driftersinc

driftersinc

Jul 10, 2006
    Flushing, NY
    How would you describe the tone difference between series and parallel?

9. vates

vates

Nov 15, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Thank you ! great examples

10. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    series is bold and grindy in your face, parelell is quieter and to me at least, a little on the thin side with less overall preasence, but i guess it could get you kinda close to a passive jazz bass sound if you were in lets say parelell neck pickup position, but for some this may not be the case, everyone hears things a little different, but for me it is this way, but there is allot of different tones to be had in all the bass settings, parelell just is not where i find the tones in my head if you know what i mean.

11. driftersinc

driftersinc

Jul 10, 2006
    Flushing, NY
    I personally prefer the parallel setting for slapping. I think bridge pickup in series mode is good to get the fretless tone.

12. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV

i could see that it might be good for slapping, parallel has a nice high end that would work good for that, and while i dont play fretless anymore, i definately agree the back pickup in series would get a really good tone for a fretless type tone., and who knows maybe i would like parallel more with a different amp combination, right now i use a 700 watt swr head, with a goliath 3 speaker cab, maybe a different amp would make the parallel position sound better on my bass, anyway just thinking about it.

13. driftersinc

driftersinc

Jul 10, 2006
    Flushing, NY
    Speaking of amp, you reminded me of something! I heard a lil bit of 'rattling', sounds like the speaker couldn't handle the bass when I set the bass in series mode.
    I'm using a Roland DB500 combo, it's 160W with 12" speaker and tweeter. I have yet to try my bass in a different bass amp, but I'm curious whether it's the bass or the amp that cause it??

14. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    well i can tell you that my galien kruger with 15 inch speaker and 160 watt amp cant handle it if i turn the amp volume above 5, it distortes like crazy even with the -10 db pad on with the G&L l2500 in passive mode, but my swr 700 watt head and goliath speaker handles it quite nicely, i bet it is your amp that is the weak link when it comes to your g&l, i have got the same problem as you, take your bass to the music store and plug your bass into a powerfull amp there, and you wil hear the difference,. i know i did.

15. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Was that a Tribute or an American-made L-2500? Nice sound clips! Any chance you could also make some clips while in parallel, passive mode and active treble boost modes for comparison?

And by the way, no farting, woofing or speaker rattling when using my Tribute L-2500 into my Acme Low B cabinets - http://www.acmebass.com/

16. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    thanks, and as soon as i can i will make clips for everyone to hear in all the modes, i wish there was a thread or post at the top of the G&L forum just for G&L sounds clips, and yes it is an american made G&L, swamp ash body, hard rock maple neck, with a rose wood finger board. by the way two of my clips didn't carry the right name when i up loaded them, so just to let everyone know the slap one is in active mode, series, and both pickups on, and the walking baseline was in series mode neck pickup active on, sorry i was in such a hurry to make the clips, i forgot to name two of them, i recorded all of them in a hurry i did them all in ten minutes in my home studio.

17. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I checked these out again in by studio tonight and I think there is a noticeable difference in you American vs my Tribute. Man I need to save up and get an American in a nice custom finish!

18. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    the american G&L's just scream quality, they are cheaper than a stingray and every bit as good in the quality dept. and have allot more sounds to work with, don't take me wrong i like stingray's, but the G&L L2500 can literally fit any style of music, and the neck on the 2008 models for five strings is not fat at all in fact it felt just a tad more slim than a stingray 5 neck, maybe the difference you are hearing is that the newer tributes are basswood, and the american G&L's are ash, or alder, anyways get the american G&L's it is a great buy considering there are korean or Indonesian basses out there these days costing just as much as the american G&L's, with the american G&L you get allot of bang for your buck.

19. driftersinc

driftersinc

Jul 10, 2006
    Flushing, NY
    This is interesting, I didn't know that they have a new neck profile for the latest 2008 model! I must test drive one and see the difference!

20. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    +1 :bassist: