Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L2500 (5500) owners... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Oct 11, 2002.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have a Modulus... It's EMG equipped and it FABULOUS! I love the feel, the weight, the sonic flexibility. But I'm noticing its lack of harmonics, i'm guessing due to such a stiff neck.

I also have a Warwick Masterman 5 string... It's the most comfortable bass ever with the best 34" low b I've thumped EVER! It's got harmonics at the first fret! But the preamp and pickup ar harsh and unflexible.

I am looking around for a bass to fill the missing space that won't cost another arm and leg. I want a bass that is good for low maintainence and high sonic flexibility. I've played very few G&L basses in my day, but the ones that were set up and playing right were AWESOME! Plus, I love the fact that such a reasonably priced and beautiful instrument has so many variations from one bass. None were 5 strings, though, so I ask the owners/previous owners:

Are they low maintainence?
    Does the B make people feel queezy?
    Does the A string rattle like a Fender (due to no tilt on HS)?
    Is it different from both Modulus and Warwick?
    Is the 5500 or the 2500 better or is it preference?
    How are the harmonics?
    Should I be barking up another tree?

2. KAC

KAC

Oct 9, 2002
    I ordered mine from the factory. It played great right out of the box. B String intonation was just a hair off.

Are they low maintainence?
    I've had mine since March - It just went in for its initial "break-in" neck adjustment and to fix that B-string intonation. Now it is nack to perfect condition. Everything else has preformed flawlessly. I owned a 4-string in the 80's, played it for 10 years with no problems until it got stolen.

Does the B make people feel queezy?
    The B String is great. I play hard driving type bass. I use those low notes a lot. (I don't know how I ever got along without them)

Does the A string rattle like a Fender (due to no tilt on HS)?
    Not at all.

Is it different from both Modulus and Warwick?
    Haven't played Modulus. Tried a few Warwicks before I bought this. I thought the G&L felt and sounded considerably more solid. The tone is much more flexible.

Is the 5500 or the 2500 better or is it preference?
    Don't know.

How are the harmonics?
    Perfect.

Should I be barking up another tree?
    I can't imagine why. If you're looking for something more upscale with perhaps a little more finess the maybe. If you want something SOLID, consistent, tonally flexible, and affordable, then go for G&L. Also excellent finishes.

Hope this helps

Here's a pic:

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Wow... that's a STUNNING bass!

The reason I ask if I'm barking up the wrong tree is there are so many companies out there doing so many similar things.
    When I started this quest for a new bass, I was thinking G&L. Then I started to think Sadowsky. Then Lakland. I'm running into a lot of very cool basses that I've never played, but are all sort of rooted in a similar vibe... classic meets modern.
    Being a Warwick man who got a modulus, I was always a "Modern Only" dude. Tonally, shapes, etc. I had a musicman stingray 4, it was nice, but limited and needed a bit of attention pretty regularly. Still have a parts P basss that I wouldn't play live on a bet. I've actually had a bunch of basses that I never liked nearly as much as the Mod or Wick. I like them for playability, sound, looks, craftsmanship, etc... but the best thing is the fact that I can leave one in my car for a week and when I pull it out, it's ready to go, in tune, intonated, and playing great.
    I'm looking at G&L because they seem to have their stuff together, and yet are still affordable (comp to Lakland, Sadowsky). I've seen used ones go insanely cheap on ebay.
    So I gess another question I have for people is "How does a G&L compare to the bigger boys... Lakland, Sadowsky, Fodera, Wal, etc?"

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

They are in a different category - I think G&L is comparable to Fender, Musicman, Warwick, etc. Not Sadowsky, Fodera, Lakland, Wal. They are production basses, not custom luthier built basses.

Don't get me wrong, I love G&Ls (that's all I've got right now). They are super values (both new and used if you shop in the right places). I love how they sound.

I don't know where you live but here in Houston I wouldn't leave any bass in the car, composite neck or not, for a week. My G&Ls have been stable but I always keep them in an air-conditioned environment which should keep the humidity (severe in Houston) stabilized.

I think one of the big draws of G&L is the MFD pickup design (another Leo innovation). An L-2500 has G&L MFD pickups while an L-5500 has EMGs and wouldn't have the same character.

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have left a Modulus in the trunk of my car in Cleveland (where if you don't like the weather... wait 20 minutes) for a week as an experiment (I didn't gig much then). The weather changed a lot, I drove around to work and back a few times. I pulled it out and plugged it in... sounded and played great.
    My warwick... left it sitting around in my basement for 2 weeks without playing it (when I got the new Modulus, and no, it wasn't because it was in the trunk). Plugged the bastard in and it played and sounded great. I haven't done a truss rod adjustment in about 8 months!

This is what I want for reliability! Luthier built, production, whatever. Does G&L do that? Lakland? I know for sure that Music Man doesn't. Worked at GC and would have to do at least 1 musicman every week, despite no change in weather. I mention MM because people compare G&L and MM a lot.

6. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Cleveland, eh? (I went to CWRU) I hope it wasn't during winter.

My G&Ls are stable in a single environment - for example I leave a bass at work to practice at lunchtime. I tune it up the first day I bring it in and then leave it (it travels with me to practice that week so it's a week at a time). When I get to practice I have to retune because the drummer keeps his house at a different temperature than the office. I haven't done truss rod adjustments on them other than the initial ones when I got them - and I kind of do remember having to adjust my Stingray's truss rod a couple times during the time I had it.

I think the "bi-cut" neck (take the neck blank, saw it in half lengthwise, route & insert the truss rod & glue it back together) may be more stable than the flat sawn Stingray neck.

I haven't had a composite neck bass long enough to ever get a feel for them (had a Peavy G bass for a short time and a Modulus Genesis Vintage J for a very short time).

7. Hey, rojo412, I've got a quick question- where do you park your car?

What? No reason....:)

8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Actually, it was during winter... but winter isn't consistent anymore. I believe it was january, but the weather was in the mid thirties to the mid forties that week. (Funk- That was at GC Mayfield, but they fired me, so I'll just be like Waldo for you :) )

Retuning is not the worst thing. I carry my basses mostly in gig bags, so they go out of tune very frequently, plus I have a rack tuner, so who cares. But the stingray truss rod fiasco is not something I want to duplicate. BTW, the Fenders do that too... go out of true at the drop of a hat.

9. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    could i ask a question, do these G&L L2500 have quiet electronics, are they good for recording?

cheers

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Mine is a '99 model (L2500), and it makes no noise AT ALL. Great for recording, or anything else.

11. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I think that you'd find a lot of simularities between the G & L and the Musicman. The G & L has more usable sounds (due to great pre-amp & dual P/U's) but the Musicman has that great slap tone! I do also agree with the earlier comment concerning the L2500 vs the L5500. The G & L electronics and P/U's (L2500) sound much better IMO than the EMG's (L5500). As far as the neck stability, you probably wouldn't find the G & L any more stable than the Musicman. The (2) 4-string G & L's I previously owned did require periodic tweeking of the truss-rod and bridge. Nothing that couldn't be adjusted out though. Although I am told by a guy that bought one of my G & L's that the neck did eventualy twist badly and had to be replaced. I can't vouch for how he cared for the bass however.
    You really should try the Lakland 55-01 and 02 basses. They really are high quality instruments and sound and play great! You can get them used at prices camparable to the G & L basses.