Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L2500 and Modulus Flea 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LoJoe, Mar 30, 2004.

1. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Has anyone had hands experience on both of these basses enough to do a comparo? I currently have the 2500 and a friend of mine is harassing me to death to sell it to him. I've tossed the idea of replacing it with a Modulus for awhile, but would have to buy it sight unseen/unplayed. Perfectly happy with my 2500, but you guys know how GAS works, sometimes you just want a change. How does the MF5 stack up in comparison?

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Well, they're both high-quality 34" 5 strings. The Flea is a nod to the Stingray design, which isn't entirely unlike a G&L 2000/2500. Both sound great, are comfortable to play, and have their unique vibe. The main differences will be:

* Graphite vs Wood: Obviously, the neck won't feel like wood. It will sound more even, snappy, and slightly compressed with no dead spots. Wood is a little more dynamic and warm sounding.

* The Flea 5 will have slightly wider spacing.

* The pickup of the Flea 5 will make a big difference. Bartolini will yield deeper lows and a smoother sound. The basslines will be more musicman-like: snappy, aggressive. The rare Lane Poor will be a mix of the two.

* The 2500 will be more versatile because of the two configurable pickups, intead of the Flea's single pup.

Depends on what kind of music you're playing. If you do funk, rock, or slap, the Flea is a smart choice. Cuts through, snappy sound, great feel and slightly wider feel for slapping. For a country, jazz, or a blues gig, I'd stick with the 2500, although you can play just about any gig with a 2500.

3. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Thanks Capn!

That is exactly the kind of unbiased feedback I was looking for. Since I posted the question, I've been thinking on it and I find I've grown emotionally attached to my 2500. She's been half way around the world with me and never let me down. I will be hard pressed to let it go and it would probably eat me up to see my buddy putting his grubby mitts on her! :crying: I've just heard great things about the MF5 too and had a weak moment of GAS. I think I'm getting over it though.

Again, thanks for the excellent perspective!

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well if your buddy wants an L-2500 and you stick with yours let me know. Im giving mine up for a Valenti bass.

Peace
    Nick