1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L L2500 - Does G&L make a FRETLESS Tribute* model? (*Asian affordable line)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JacoNOT, Jul 29, 2012.

1. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    There's a lightly used natural-finish (honey colored) G&L L2500 Tribute hanging on the wall of a local shop. The Tribute line is made in Asia - far less expensive with an excellent reputation.

Good price and I would like to buy it...BUT...I want to have matching fretted and fretless 5-string basses so I don't have to rethink anything when I switch from one to the other.

QUESTION: Does G&L make a fretless Tribute 2500? Or are fretless G&Ls only the USA-made models? If USA only, I'm sure it's beyond my so-called budget.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Fretless are USA only.

3. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks. It's crushing but that's what I thought. I was just hoping I was wrong.

If I did go this route, I'd want the Ebony finger board with fret lines AND fret marker dots on its face (yeah, belt AND suspenders and all uglied up, but I know my limitations :D ).

Anybody know roughly what that'd cost? I'm cringing, waiting for that figure...:eek: Maybe, $2,000ish?

4. klyph

klyph

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    I think a few hundred dollars less if you ordered one- more like 1700$. But a good luthier can make a tribute into a fretless for a couple hundred dollars. You could even try it yourself, if you're feeling brave/handy! They (us model fretlesses) do show up on ebay pretty regularly,and usually sell for 800-1000$ but most of the used ones I've seen are unlined. Still, you should be able to find a used tribute and have it modded for well under 1000$. I've been playing L-2500s for 15 years now, great basses. Good luck!

5. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks, klyph. You raise some interesting options, what with defretting a used fretted Tribute L2500 - or better yet, finding a used fretless around $800. I'd rather have the actual fretless with that ebony board (as I'd probably feel the need to epoxy a defretted rosewood board = more expense and/or trouble). I'll Google a while and see what turns up.

Check this out. A fretless L2500 with physical grooves (shallow indentations) as fret markers. I never even thought of that before, but now that I see it, I guess it makes sense that those very narrow indentations wouldn't affect tone... Kuul.

6. klyph

klyph

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    I dunno, that looks like somebody defretted the fb and didn't bother filling the slots! However, that may be the prettiest 2500 neck I've ever seen- that birdseye is insane! You know, if this is local to you and you have the cash you should really try to talk the guy down... that's a really sweet looking bass. Filling those slots wouln't be too difficult.

7. I had a fretless G&L L-2500 with the so called "ghost lines" (very narrow empty slots) and didn't care for their feel or fretless tone. So I had a luthier fill them with plastic, and in a few years refretted it.

I think you're better of with a stock lined or unlined fretless.

8. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    I know. That curly maple is the cat's a$$. But the bass is in Nevada and I'm dead center USA. I just scared it up via Google...:meh:

9. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    Temcat, so did you have the luthier turn the fretless into a regular fretted neck?

I'm with you. I'd rather have inlayed fret lines done by the G&L staff - and if possible, use a middle-tone wood so the contrast isn't so obvious...if that's possible.

10. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    QUESTION: Do you guys think the G&L 5-string neck (Tribute M-2500) is kinda thick? In checking out the local used specimen (and trying not drool on it) I thought the neck was thick and quite round... :confused:

I'm used to playing my LTD 5-string, which has a pretty thin neck (by thin I mean the distance from fretboard face to back of neck is minimal). Also, the back of my LTD neck seems less round, almost a flat spot along the center line.

The G&L neck feels like its cross-section would look like the letter 'C'. While the LTD feels more like a 'D'.

Does G&L have a reputation for "hefty necks"?

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It's pretty thick compared to something like LTD or Ibanez. But it's really not much different from a Stingray 5 or Jazz 5 neck or something.

12. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks. That's why I want identical fretless and fretted instruments. I'm new to bass, but even so I seem to be very aware of differences in neck shape and thickness. That's the only thing I didn't LOVE about the G&L. I think the thinner LTD neck will probably always be easier for me to play, but I'll bet I'd get used to the G&L in a week.

My LTD has a 5-piece laminated neck (3 maple strips alternating with 2 dark wood strips) which may make the thinner profile possible. The G&L has a one-piece, non-laminated maple neck, so maybe it has to be a bit more massive...

13. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Different strokes for different folks. Lots of people really hate the G&L necks. Others, (me) really love that fat feel! It's by far my favorite neck (The neck I hate the most, by the way is my Fender Jazz Deluxe V. Just something odd-feeling about it)

I can say that my G&L necks (except for the Modulus solid graphite) are the most stable necks I own. Both fretted and fretless. Never seem to need adjustments.

Personally I don't much worry about necks, owning and playing everything from a thin Ibby to super-fat Wishbasses. But I still love that G&L feel. However it's the G&L TONE that makes the sale!

But yes, G&Ls have a reputation for thick roundish necks. And the idea of identical Fretted and Fretless G&L is a good one. Me: two blue-burst USA G&L L2500s. One fretted. One fretless. Too cool for words. (also a nice Tribby as well)

14. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Its not a good idea to defret at bass and leave the fret grooves unfilled. In fact, it's important WHAT you fill them with. Ordinary wood-filler is not best. Carefully fitted and glued hardwood strips are traditional. Epoxy would be OK.

The point is that if you leave the grooves empty the neck loses strength in the forward direction and that can cause problems.

15. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    +1 Years ago I could not find a USA made fretless I liked so I had someone pull the frets from my Fender P-Bass Elite II... he filled the slots with bubinga strips and then put epoxy on top and planed it all down.

Yeah, it's pretty bright sounding! (even with flats)

16. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks for all comments, incl the parts I chopped. You mentioned your two matched G&Ls in another thread and I really wanted to see pictures. Yours sound GREAT, so please post pics if you can.

A while back the same shop had an orange burst G&L 2000 USA (4string) with maple neck/fretboard. Wow. If I could do (pay for) whatever I want, I'd probably go for matching G&L 5s in that orange burst (transp yellow out to tangerine) - maybe with the maple neck for fretted and the ebony neck with ghost lines and markers for fretless. Ahhhhhh...

17. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    Eddie. Since I'm not likely to own my G&L Dream Team any time soon, I'm considering buying the fretless version of my LTD 5. It has a rosewood fingerboard, and if I go for it, I'll probably epoxy the board to keep from chewing it up.

Are you saying epoxy makes a fretless sound bright?

Further, are you saying epoxy makes it so bright that even flatwound strings sound bright?

I'm not a fan of bright...(duh)

18. In the end, yes, I did - after several years of playing with the grooves filled.

19. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks for the further information. There are many examples of modifying from fretted to fretless. Yours is the first example I've encountered of fretless-to-fretted.

I just noticed you're in "Saint Petersburg, Russia". Yikes.
    Spasibo. Ya ponyo. (my attempt at phonetic Paruski :D)

If you don't mind saying, did you decide against owning a fretless bass entirely, or did you simply not like that particular fretless bass? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase a fretless bass. I have a fretted bass now.

20. Mark 63

Mark 63

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut
    Does anyone know whether a Warmoth P-bass neck would fit the G&L neck space?

I have a Tribute L-2000 carved top, and I've been thinking about converting it to fretless. Would prefer to keep the original neck and the neck pocket intact, so would want any necessary alterations done to the replacement neck.