G&L L2500 GHS Pressure wounds VS Balanced nickels (Tales of the floppy B string)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Aug 20, 2018.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Looking for input on string considerations for a G&L L2500

My main concern is the "Floppy B" that you tend to get with low tension short scale Fender style basses. I do like both flats and rounds, but my 40+ year old fingers don't like the tension anymore of flat wounds and tend to really hurt after playing for any period of time (even with lighter touch).

Which leads me to my discovery of pressure wounds and balanced nickels being they are less tension then flats, yet a step up tension wise than rounds which may be the happy medium needed to tame the floppy B string; while having great versatility for multiple genres and styles. I will also say I have great experiences with DR strings, but I have switched to GHS recently and really like the quality and tone. I do also like tape wounds but need a bit more cut and bite competing with distorted rock guitars.

Can anyone chime in with their experience with pressure wounds or balanced nickels on a L2500 and how the tension was of the B string, and overall tonal characteristics?

Thanks in Advance!

2. Here's what I just posted in your other thread:

I have used the Balanced Nickels, but only the 4-string light set (40-101), so can't comment on the B string.

RicPlaya likes this.
  3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Thanks Michael!

I like what you did there going with the ML gauge and adding the B as a single string purchase. I was considering that myself. :bassist:

michael_t likes this.
  4. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I also use the ML gauge Pressurewounds with a single low B on my 5-string fretless. It feels much better than the Medium 5-string set IME.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I actually found the ML gauge to still have too much tension.

Great sound, but too stiff. My hands really hurt after playing.

If I were to try them again I would go with the smallest gauge

6. I personally like the stiffness of the PWs because that's what allows a nice low action without any buzzing issue.

Assuming you're talking about the fretting hand hurting, it could be a matter of proper setup on your bass.

(You're talking to a 61-yr-old who's had four trigger release surgeries, two on each hand, in the last two and a half years. ;))

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I play with super low action so I like strings that have a little more tension.

I play 105-45 precision flats on a P bass, I still found the PW in the ML guage go feel to stiffer to me, even stiffer than the PFs even though those have more tension.

Strings are a funny thing. What I determined is each type of string from manufacturer to manufacturer given they are the same kind made of loke compounds sound very similar. Example: it maybe very hard to tell if someone is playing a nickel D'Addario versus a GHS Boomer in the mix. Feel is probably the most important factor to the player.

8. This kind of surprises me, although I do realize playing feel on a set of strings is a very subjective thing.

I've chosen the light set of PFs (45-60-75-95) for my P bass to match the playing feel of the PW ML7200 (44-58-80-102) on my J, and it has worked out quite well for me.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Yeah I was a little surprised too.

Granted the flats are 8 years old... so that could also be a big factor

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021