1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L2500 mod ideas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raman, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Hi,

Proud and happy owner of a Tribute L2500. Haven't done the coil mod yet.
    But I'm thinking of other mods first. I'm thinking for example of a neck change. Something thinner.

The L2500 is a heavy bass by my standards, but I love how the body is comfortable, tight and vibrant. It's a rare bass that you can really enjoy unplugged!
    Yet I find the neck a bit square around my thumb. I don't know yet if it's due to me or to the bass.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. And also on your other mod experiences with this bass.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    Picture please

UberFritzBass likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Only mods I'd consider would be cosmetic...minor ones, too.
    I did it to my L2000.
    I can understand your concern with the neck, though...my old L2000 Tribute's neck was slightly wider than the neck on my USA-made L2000.
    Not uncomfortable enough to bother me, never even noticed it was wider until someone brought it up here, but maybe with a 5-string it would be too much.
    You are talking about swapping yours for a USA G&L neck, right?

Raman likes this.
  4. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    G&L Tribute L2500.

5. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I honestly don't know if that or if bringing it to a luthier.

What happened in a nutshell is I went from a Rick, to a luthier bass, to an Ibanez Ergodyne and to the G&L.
    And all I know is, as much as I love the fullness of the L2500 a whole lot better than all other basses, the Ergodyne's neck was pure butter.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Another big advantage with the USA L2000/2500 necks would be the rolled fretboard edges.
    This is something I noticed when switching from my Tribute to my new G&L.

Alan Scharrer, Resonance129 and Raman like this.
  7. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Please expand...

8. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Got it, I think.

Clutchcargo, RhynoRock and jd56hawk like this.
  9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Imagine feeling this instead of a straight edge.
    2550-BFDE-0-D24-443-A-9-E78-B51-F877-A0-E84.

GroovyBaby, RhynoRock and Raman like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If I find a bass I love, I don't concern myself with mods being "reversible" or not. Do what you want to it to make it play as good as it sounds.

Your bass is very nice. But it is not expensive, rare, or collectable. If it were me, I would take sandpaper to the back of that neck and shape it until is feels like an old leather glove. Sure, you can go too far. But that's not likely.

I use sanding sponges. They are easier to hold on to. Start off course to remove more material. Then get finer and finer.

When you get it where you want it, wipe it with a slightly damp cloth.

Once it dries, hit it with a tiny bit of tung oil or something else light to seal it a little.

Then go play your bass with a big grin.

I have done this a couple dozen times over the years. Works every time for my tastes. I only do it because I hate gloss finished necks.

osonu and Raman like this.
  11. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    Nice I like g&l...acoustic guitarist looks nice too. Hope she’s not your girlfriend... or a queen.... that happened here once already....awkward. Lol

jackn1202 and Raman like this.
  12. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    The challenge with G&L is that their necks aren’t a common fit for aftermarket parts, so a neck swap isn’t a simple task. If you’re looking to slim the neck down, you’re probably either going to have to go it yourself with sandpaper as mentioned above, or take it to a luthier to do that for you. I doubt you’ll find much that would fit the neck pocket without some serious work.

I love G&Ls, but I’ve resigned myself to only playing their 4s because I don’t get along with their 5er ergonomics. I’m mainly a 4 player anyway, so not a big deal to me.

As for mods, there’s a ton you can do if you like to mess with wiring and switching options....

13. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Almost all of those possibilities...

Markamb1 likes this.
  14. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Thanks a lot for this advice.

two fingers likes this.
  15. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I still miss mine to this day. I had a blue-burst Tribute L2500 with a maple fretboard. I rewired it passive with Vol, blend, tone, series/parallel switch, individual coil taps, and strung it with DR Legend flats.
    One of my favorite things about the bass was the big chunky neck. It was a dream machine.
    I know that letting go of it was part of the process of eventually getting to my 1970 Guild Starfire that will forever be my #1, but I do kinda wish I still had it kicking around. Luckily it's not a super rare or expensive model, so maybe I can find another one someday that feels just right.

16. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    When I owned my original GL 1000 single pickup, I just could not get used to the larger frets, so I had a luthier replace the originals

with, what I belive he said was close to mandolin fret wire, man did that bass play easier, of course I'm used to the fret width on a 1958 Precision bass, and I had the mod

done some time around 1980, when such things weren't as expensive as they are now. I also had a Bartolini Pickup (a coustomized version of their Music Man replacement)

installed, and even tried a fretless neck on that bass. What I gained from this experience, is that I didn't really love the bass and was trying to make it play like the Fender.

So, if you love you Tribure L2500, which by the way I've played, then you souldn't have to do that much modification to it. Just my take of course.

17. I hate the neck on my tribby. I got a good deal on it and couldn’t say no, but honestly it ruins an otherwise awesome bass for me. I’m a jazz neck guy.

18. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    This mod - purchase a used USA L2500 and sell the Tribute.

19. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I’d put an ACG filter preamp in it and make it a pseudo-Wal.

InhumanResource likes this.
  20. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I... don't touch the edge of the neck while playing(at least I don't think I do).

Is this for baseball bat gripper types? Handful of back with thumb over the top kinda style?