G & L -L2500 or Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jun 4, 2001.

1. what bass has a wider variety of tones and is overly versatile?

i'm thinking about these 2 basses...one of them will be my next bass.
  2. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    My guess would be the one with two pickups(G&L),but I emphasize-my guess.since its been years since I've played either.

Bass NW has the G&Ls at about $900.00 right now,I'm tempted...
  3. Well, I'm not a huge expert on the Stingray 5, but I own an L2500. The thing has got so much versatility it's almost ridiculous. From everything I gathered before I made the purchase, the L2500 blows just about any other bass in its price range out of the water in terms of playability. However, a lot of people have said it doesn't have its own unique tone, which is one thing the Stingray has in its favor. So if you're buying based completely on versatility, check out an L2500. You won't be sorry.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The L-2500 is much more versatile. It has a p/u switch, series/parrell switch & a pre-amp on/off w/a high boost. I had one & regretably sold it. I still have an L-2000 (4 string version) & it smokes. The pre-amp isn't working properly but passive alone it's still super versatile.

Music Man's are GREAT basses, too. I love everything about them except the sound. When ever I'd play one in a store, it sounded great. I owned a Sterling & a Ray & when I brought it to a band situation, I coun't get a sound I liked. So they had to go.

My vote is for the L-2500.
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    These are the two basses I am deciding between as well. I like both of them a lot, and the decision has come basically down to the Stingray 5 v. the L-2500.

I also was considering the NS5CR at one point. Though I thoroughly love that trademark Spector sound, I don't think it is the sound I would like to have at all times. I would like my next 5 to have more versatility.

I like something about the way the Stingray 5 plays and the B is fantastic. They sound great too, but they have that same Stingray chracter to them all of the time.

On the other hand, I have a bias towards the L-2500 because I already own L-2000's. My one and only hesitation on the L-2500 at this point is I've heard the B string is not all that great. Other than that, I love the cool sounds to be had from these basses.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I had both and sold the G&L. It lacked the "mojo" that the 'Ray had, for some reason. Just my own personal experience. The G&L did offer great tonal variety, of course. There's something about that 'Ray 5, however, that makes me keep taking it on gigs.
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I think it depends on what you want to do with it. I love the feel of a Stingray, but I don't play in an original rock band. I play 120-130 dates a year in a Christian Praise and Worship band. Our sets include music with the flavors of rock, R&B, pop, funk, adult contemporary. Some stuff even has a bit of C&W feel to it. I have been playing an L-2500 in that band for more than a year and I can always dial up something very usable. (including a fairly close stingray slap tone) I should also add that it is tough as nails. It has to have 1000 hours on it and has never popped, blinked or even required a truss turn.

It is very heavy, so I give myself a break and play my Tobias Growler here and there, but the G&L is certainly the main player.

IF you want an EBMM and think it is right for your band, you really can't go wrong with it. I will say the G&L is much more flexible.
  8. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    How's the B on the L-2500 compare to the Stingray 5?

I figure it's not *as* tight, but is it good?

I like a B to be tight enough to run scales up and down it without fumbling over the floppiness. I also want it to sound as clear and balanced as the other strings, though I doubt this is much of a problem on the L-2500. The tension is what worries me though. :(
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have never had any real issues with the B string on the L-2500. It strings through body, so tension is not a problem. I play it well up the neck without concern. I use a .130 B string.

It is a bit muddy, but I think all 34" scale basses are a little muddy on the B. I wouldn't call the Stingray B significantly better than a G&L.
  10. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
  11. I have an L-2500 that I play in 1) a blues band, 2) a rock band that leans toward the heavier side, and 3) on Sundays in our church ensemble. It thumps, it cuts, it rocks. I am amazed that more people aren't playing them. I check out all the new, pretty boy basses at every music store I come to, but I haven't found anything I'd rather own, even at 3-4 times the price. You can't go wrong. By the way, I bought it from bassnw, great folks to deal with.