G&L L2500 preamp replacement opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by redwood, Sep 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. redwood

redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Hey folks.

I have an older L2500, that was purchased (very cheaply) with a non-functioning preamp.
    I have been using it passively, when I feel the urge. It's not my main player. The thing is, I love the power from the MFD's and was hoping to be able to sculpt that power a bit more than I'm able to in passive mode.

A couple years ago I installed an ACG filter based preamp. The install went well, but the sound wasn't what I was looking for. I was hoping for a poor man's Wahl. Didn't really work out and out it came.

I haven't done anything with it since then besides get it up and running passive. And I have the toggles set up for front p/u, both p/u, back p/u, and the other two switch each between single, series and parallel modes.

My thoughts are bouncing between 3 different preamps:

1. Go back to the original from G&L. My least favorite option as I'm not a huge fan.

2. Audere Pro Z with Volume Balance Bass Mid and treble, and the Z mode control. I had a Lakland DJ5 with this preamp in it and loved it with the Nordstram pickups installed. Wasn't a fan of the wider spacing and 35 scale.

3. Darkglass. I have no intimate experience with this preamp, but love the sound I'm hearing on youtube, and I like the concept in it's design. Question will it be able to tame the highs of the MFD's?

I'm leaning towards the Audere, however it's a bit more expensive than the Darkglass, and about as much as I spent on the whole bass!

So, in a nutshell, I'm hesitating.

Just hoping to get some opinions from all you smart guys and gals.

FYI, I am looking for a more aggressive, grinding tone, but with the ability to mellow it out enough to not have to switch between basses between grunge and ballads, if you know what I mean.

So what have you got for me?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

You could get more grind out of it just by replacing the volume & treble cut pots with 500K Ohm pots.
    More top end, that you can dial back as needed.
    I'd leave it passive, but can't think of what you could do with that aft switch.

redwood likes this.
  3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Let me turn you one to some thing I've been intending to try. I own 3 L2500. Two USA (Fretted and fretless) and one Fretted Tribute. I LOVE these basses!

But I keep thinking of ways to maybe make them better. One thing that got me thinking was the M2500 bass. Well, I really don't want some other generic mild sounding active bass like the M2500 that is all it does. BUT I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of G&L preamp setup either. I do play active vs passive settings about 50-50. I love the tone of both. But I don't use the third (boost highs) position much at all. This got me thinking. Why not change the electronics from the current passive-active-active boost highs, selections to replace the boost highs with a full EQ preamp. I"m talking about bass/treble/Mids/ plus a mids center frequency control. This is not such an easy thing to find, but EMG does make a set! This gives two stacked knobs: Bass/Treble and Mids/Frequency.

The idea therefore is to make the 3 way selector be passive (using standard passive bass and treble controls. Then active also using the standard G&L passive EQ controls and finally active with full EQ which switches to the third preamp with the two stacked knobs with the high boost previous feature removed. An idea is if you still want to emulate the high boost just turn up the treble and make the rest flat. Thus most of the tone and operation of the original bass (that makes it so cool) are retained yet you have the full M2500 style active EQ available if you want it. And the cool thing is you can set up some EQ tone on your active EQ and easily switch back and forth between that and the standard G&L thing. This I hope to be totally cool.

Of course one problem is finding the space to add two more stacked knobs and the circuits that go underneath. But that is a doable thing. My plan is to start by making this mod to my Tribute to see if it's something or nothing.That way I don't put a lot of value at risk for the experiment. But I really really do want to try this. Just Saying.

redwood likes this.
  4. redwood

redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, I don't really need more grind. Even passive It has some serious grind, IMHO. I was just looking for some more control over the full tone spectrum from the bass itself. For my amp I'm usually a set it and forget it kind of guy.

5. redwood

redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    That's a pretty interesting idea. Might be overkill for my purposes, but something I'll keep in mind.
    You might need a tiny shoehorn though.