1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L2500 Pros&Cons

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ciubz, Sep 12, 2008.

1. ciubz

ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
    I want to buy a 5-er. I am fender guy and i'm looking for something traditional and simple, i mean that i don't want multiple laminations and woods and all that stuff.

After considering a lot of different models i decided to go with the G&L L2500 USA. There is one small problem, i can't test the bass by my self cause in the part of the world that i live these basses simply don't exist.

So i'm asking you my fellow tb'ers what are the pros and cons of this particular bass.

What are weak points? the strong points?

All the things they say in the product description on musicians friend are they true or not?

Thank You

Andrew

2. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I suggest you spend some time reading in the G&L forum, and then perhaps ask some questions there. I think the description on Musician's Fiend is accurate, but I also believe that it doesn't fully describe the G&L. I've got an L-2000, and I love it, but I also have a MIA Fender Jazz Dlx that I love as well, and they are two different basses.

Try the G&L forum. People there are very helpful.

3. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I had one. It was a nice bass. Good solid B string. Nice warm tone.

The pickup selector is a switch: bridge/neck/both, which may be fine for you. I guess in all practicality it was fine for me. Over all the electronics were fine. The MFD pickups are about my favorite of all pickups and I love the coil switching options (single coil, parallel, single with bass boost, which is a variation on series).

The reason I ultimately sold it was that the right hand spacing is fairly narrow. I pretty much demand 3/4"/19mm string to string spacing - standard four string spacing with one more string added.

Another bummer with that bass was that the main part of the body was poplar. I don't know that I actually heard a difference, but it bugged me. I don't know if they've moved to alder or ash for the bodies or not. It was something you sort of had to go looking for to find - it wasn't readily mentioned anywhere.

I've got a Skyline 55-01 that has addressed my two biggest niggles and I'm working on addressing the electronics so it will be close to a 2500's - actually sort of a Jazz meets L-1000: passive, coil Switching for each pickup, two volumes, bass and treble roll off.

Good luck. It's a good bass, but it ultimately wasn't for me. Mine was mid-late 90's with a flame maple top.

KO

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Pros: Awesomeness
    Cons: Lack of sissiness

Very versatile bass. Beefy tones, but it has a nice top end as well. The MFD pups are very nice and while the controls are a bit unconventional, they work well.

5. I've had three L-2500's and several other fives. The L-2500s were the best, hands down. Anything the others could do, the G&L's could copy, and they had a sound all their own when you wanted that, too.

Get one. But TRY to get one made before 2003 - they screwed around with the preamp around that time and, IMO, ruined it. They've tweaked the preamp several times over the history of the Tri-Tone circuit (That's the chip that makes L-200's and L2500's so awesome). They really had it right from the late 80's to 2003.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    First: most stock G&L's don't have a single coil option. Series and parallel are the normal setup. Some of the early Series E basses did. Some of the recent limited editions do. You can now special order them that way.
    Second, replacing the op-amp chip with whatever you want is cheap and easy to do.
    Third: if you need "fo-real" J or P sounds, you may be disappointed. The L2X00's get close, but do not nail a pure P or J vibe.

All that aside, they're very high quality, very versatile, mix crushing beasts.
    I had 14 or so G&L's last time I counted, so don't take me to be a G&L basher. I'm not!

Oldschool94 and kkaarrll like this.
  7. my main problem with this bass is that the aggressive tone makes me want to go completely bonkers (think flea) while playing it, yet the tight string spacing makes it require a bit of finesse..

of course this is just my opinion.. I have fat-fingered ogre hands..

8. :)

Mike

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    They are a little tighter than other standard "fenderesque" products.
    Doesn't bother me, but I switch between 15+ basses regualrly.

They are aggressive sounding; but this is easily dealt with.
    Passive mode (which works even with a dead batt folks!) is very nice.
    And, rolling off both treble cut, and volume can take you straight to Old Skool.

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Bass threads suck without pics;)
    This'un's a 1998; bound ash body, r/w board, and one of my fave sounding axes of all time.

L25K-1.

Late 2006/early 2007 model. Somewhere in 2006, the USA made basses started getting the PLEK treatment (google it if you don't know what that is). Vintage white, Gun Oil Tint neck.
    newL2Kbody.

Here it's next to my 1981 L2000E that I bought new in 1982.
    oldnewL2Ks.

MycooLeeyun and Oldschool94 like this.
  11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    As long as we're on the subject - What is the string spacing on an L2500?

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    17.5mm, IIRC
    which I might not...

13. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

You are correct, sir.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Aha!
    Alzheimers hasn't wiped out that sector yet then;)

15. phunku

phunku

Jan 9, 2008
    London, England
    so whats the difference between the L-2500 and the ASAT bass, other than they look different, they look like they have the same pickups nad preamp! :meh:

love the look of them both, especially with the gun oil tint maple fingerboard!!! :hyper::eek:

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    2500/ASAT do indeed ahve the same electronics package.
    The semi-hollow ASAT will save you a lil weight, but it doesn't really cop a semi hollow vibe.

17. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I had one. Terrific tone and versatility!

But I could not get comfortable with the fat neck, so I traded it.

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    While I've not played one, the current production run of 2500 are supposed to have a much slimmer neck.

The previous gen 2500's aren't quite "baseball bat," but they're close.
    They don't bother me.

19. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    i can say for sure that the new G&L L2500's do have a slimmer neck, i have played an old one, and the neck was big but was ok to me, but my new 2008 G&L L2500's neck is not big and fat, in fact it is easier to play on my G&L L2500, than my Fender american jazz deluxe v bass, my hand does not cramp nearly as much as it used to, i love the neck, it is nice and fast and smooth.

20. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    How is the sound different pre-2003? Do you know what the change(s) was/were? is it something that could be replicated by swapping chips?