Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L2500 Vs. Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by howie, Mar 3, 2006.

1. howie

howie

Aug 29, 2005
    Right now I am playing a Warwick Thumb 5 bolt-on. In the next year, I'd really like to pick up a new bass. At first I was leaning towards a Fender but then I started reading about G&Ls and Laklands and became very interested in these two specifically. Can anyone that has played both share their thoughts and experiences with me? Also, are these two similar in weight? If so, are they generally heavier instruments? Thanks!

2. They're a bit different in feel and sound. The Lakland has a 35" scale and wide (3/4") spacing at the bridge, while the G&L is 34" scale with narrower string spacing. The Lakie has a Bart pickup electronics setup that is very versatile with its 3-band EQ and coil switch, but which is fairly smooth and which some folks find to be too "polite". The G&L, on the other hand, is generally more aggressive sounding, and while it's capable of many distinct tones, the EQ is simpler with less flexiblility.

As for the weight, I don't think either one is exceptionally heavy, but my definition of "heavy" is an old Wal 5 or Warwick Thumb 6!

Mike

3. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I'm a G&L player but they're both excellent instruments. I would try them both out and get whichever one speaks to you more.