Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&l L2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arther daily, May 18, 2001.

1. O, I searched through 6 pages, and found no things....

Any opinions on this bass?

Whassit play like?

It looks like it's pretty chunkified, is that correct?

Does it have a beefy sound?

How versatile etc...

Ta.

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Check for any references to L2000 and ASAT as well. They have the same electronics in a 4-string package.

I have an L2000 and love it. Lots of tonal variety, from deep P-bassy-like growl from the neck pickup in series to J-like growl from both in parallel. The output is very hot and I'd generally characterize the sound as aggressive and growly (mmm, beefy!). I like it a lot.

The L-2500 has fairly close string spacing for a 5 I believe.

3. I owned an L-1505 for a while -- that's essentially a one-pickup version of the L-2500. The B string was superb when it was strung thru the body (the G&L 5's give you the choice).

I thought the G&L sound was a bit too aggressive for my musical needs, but if you're in a heavy music setting, I can't really imagine a better bass for the $.

4. "I thought the G&L sound was a bit too aggressive for my musical needs, but if you're in a heavy music setting, I can't really imagine a better bass for the $."

I think you just made a hole in my wallet.

Narrow string spacing my be a little tricky to get used to as I play a 4 string StingRay now, but I;m sure I'll manage!

The L2500 doesnt have a Jazz style neck does it?

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I like mine. For what it's worth, I got rid of a Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 to get the G&L.

Like a 5 string P-bass is the best way I can describe it.

"chunkified"?????????

It can...especially in series mode. Parallel mode gives less aggressive tones.

I can get close to the sound of a P, a J or a Sting Ray with it. I personally like the ability to have bass EQ in passive mode (only G&L basses have this). The only thing missing is a way to blend the two pickups.

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Same pawn shop that had the RBX 1000 had a nice looking L2000 for $649, seemed a little high to me.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd get rid of a MIA JD5 (I have two;)) if I could get the sound and playability of an L2000 with the same string spacing, in a five. Oh well...

8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My experience w/ G&L is good! Great bass
    for the $.

Bass NW is having a G&L sale right now
    and has a very nice selection --- call them!

www.bassnw.com

9. I can pretty much second all of the glowing reviews for the L2500 given so far. It's definitely a wonderful bass for the money. It's extremely versatile, and it can approximate the Fender P and J sounds pretty well. I haven't had a ton of luck trying to get the Stingray sound, but I'm not really after it (the L2500 is pretty aggressive when you want it to be).

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by jazz style neck (I'm a newbie to a lot of this terminology), but I love the neck and the string spacing. It's wide enough for slap and pop, but close enough for fingers/pick.

The only gripe I have is that the bass is a bit noisy, but I plan on getting a full shielding job done on it as soon as I find a tech capable enough.

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    By default, the L-2xxx series has a neck that most closely approximates to a Fender Precis. It's chunky, but not overly so, and is comfortable IMO.

However, they do have a jazz type neck, it is called #6. This is considered an 'option' on their basses, so you will see less of them with a Jazz style neck around.

I have two L-2000's, one is the standard neck, one a #6 jazz neck. They both play fine, not a huge difference IMO.

With Fenders, almost anyone can feel the difference between the Precis and Jazz necks, even with a blindfold. With the G&L however, I'd say the difference between the #6 and default neck is less noticeable.

11. I just got an L2500 recently. One word for it. Awesome! It is an aggressive instrument. Lotta bass there. You just 'feel' the power holding it. Tons of versitility, can dail up about any tone you want, though i just use a few. You want beefy? This bass is VERY beefy! I don't think the string spacing is a problem. Hasn't been for me. I don't slap much, but it seems great for slapping if needed. It may look a bit clunky, but it's easy to play. Beautiful instrument. It is a bit noisy, haven't tried it in the studio yet. And i don't like where the battery compartment is. I like the passive or active feature alot. It's quite a bit less agrgesive when played on passive. The band totally loves the sound of it. It's a weird bass in that it don't sound it's best with the volume wide open. I usually run it about 3/4's. Not used to that. Also, the bass and treble knobs react weird. Some kind of a cut boost thing going on. To me they sound best just ran wide open on this bass. Trent

12. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I had a love/hate thing going with my L-2500; it was one of the newer, slightly slimmer models, sunburst w/maple fretboard. I sold it last year after I took delivery of a custom five string.

LOVED the way it looked, and was a big admirer of the attention to detail, construction, and finishing. HATED how heavy it was, and how chunky it was-- I'm not a very big guy and I never felt like I merged with the bass-- some basses you dive right in and become the bass. It felt a bit stand-offish if that makes sense.

LOVED the string spacing, both at the neck and bridge, which is 11/16", slightly tighter than the full Fender 3/4" (the Fender's five string jazz's bridge will also actually let you adjust it to 11/16", too) but not as tight as the 5/8" some basses have - I don't slap and can play the 5/8 (my 6 string is 5/8") but it's almost a 1/2 song worth of time to get my right hand to adapt when jumping from a full 3/4". The 11/16" of the G&L is just fine IMHO.

LOVED its versatility - the series/parallel switches, treble boost, etc., and monster pickups let you get a wide variety of sounds -- though the bass doesn't seem to have its own personality, sort of sterile in that regard. HOWEVER, at the time (before I got my custom 5) if I was allowed to only own and take one bass to a gig, to handle a wide variety of assignments -- it would have been the G&L L-2500.

my .02 (well, perhaps .04)

13. I love mine....

The string spacing is not very wide, but it is wider than my Warwick 5...

I think the L-2500 is one of the most versatile basses around....

The weight does not bother me either....Actually I think it is pretty light, I have the solid swamp ash body with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard....
    Blue-burst is her coloring, and I get more compliments on her at shows than my Warwick by far....

14. String spacing on the L2500 is the same as a Stingray 5, and no-one complains about that!
    Weight is fairly heavy, but the balance when strapped on is perfect, so the weight is not apparent. About the same weight as a Stingray 5. I have a cherry burst, maple board model.

15. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I bought Bob's G&L 2500. Unlike him, I'm a big guy (6'2", 240lbs, loooong fingers), so the size of G&L fit me just right. His other comments are right on the mark, though I am not sure about the sterile part - my band mates easily recognise it's sound, which can be both warm and agressive, depending on how you play it.

16. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I am considering one of these and was wondering if anyone had any other comments as far as comparing the L 2500 to the Stingray 5. Other that the string spacing that is, which someona already said was similar as is the wieght. I am wondering if this bass might not be a more versatlie bass. I cant own several basses right now so I was thinking this one might be a better choice.. If anyone is lookig to trade thier L 2500 for a Stingray 5, email me.
    Scott

17. I haven't had a chance to play a Stingray, but I have an L2500. Going from what everyone else says, the L2500 is definitely more versatile, but it's not quite as aggressive as the Stingray is. I personally love the L2500, but I may be looking for something a bit better for metal, so I'm looking into a custom. Of course, a Stingray could probably work a bit too, but I don't know if I want to give up the versatility of my G&L. I may think about that trade and get back to you.

I noticed from looking at your profile that you have a fretless G&L ASAT. The L2500 is basically the same bass as far as electronics go, so that should give you a good idea of how versatile the L2500 can be.

Hope this helps.

18. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Cool DH, thanks for the reply,. I'll email you some questions, would love to hear from anymore L2500 owners. Really interested in what you guys think of the B string and how it stacks up to the Stingray 5. The B's on most of the MIA Fender 5's were pretty floppy, and I like the tight response from the Stingray. Would love the versatility of the L2500, but not at the cost of the B string tone.
    Scott

19. Right then, that settles it - an L2500 it is!

Versatility, nice chunky neck, great sound and no ugly great pick guard like the Ray 5! Sold!

20. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I guess I am a little late, since you have already decided. But I have owned an L-2500 for a little over a year now, and I think it is a great instrument.

I play in a Christian Praise and Worship band, so I am continuously switching styles. Rock, blues, contempory jazz, even stuff with a reggae or country feel. The tone circuit on the G&L will give something for each of those.

The B is tight and true. Mine is not of the lamenated top variety as are many of the newer ones. Mine is solid ash and weighs about three tons. I am 6'3" 220 so I don't mind it much. But it will start to weigh on you after a while.

My other bass is a Tobais Growler, which weighs nothing. So, I switch to if I get tired.

Go to http:www/glguitars.com and take the factory tour. You'll see that these instruments are far more in line with the quality that Uncle Leo invisioned than are the current Fenders. In fact, many of the tools in the factory were designed and built by Leo Fender.

Quality is the most obvious thing about G&L to me. The 6-bolt neck joint is the tightest i have ever seen. I also think the split-sawn neck design makes for a very stable feel. And there isn't a dead spot to be found.

My bass is ash with a maple board. I string it with EB slinkies (cause they're cheap and long enough to string through body) Throw the bass into series mode and slap it on the back pickup and you get a quite accurate Stingray sound. You can also pull off a jazz bass tone, a p-bass tone and a few other cool ones in between.

I know you'll be happy with one.

Chas