1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L L2xxx/ASAT players - what pickup/control setting to you use the most?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jan 25, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    If you own an L2000, L2500, or ASAT bass, what pickup and control setting do you use the most? I know it's a super versatile bass but I find myself sticking to outer singles together with all of the controls full up.

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, that's not a config most players will have!

Having said that, my lone remaining L2000 is pure passive, and wired like an L1000, with dual parallel, single coil, and OMG (single coil w bass boost) mode.

I most often run bridge only, in OMG mode, with treble trimmed a little and bass trimmed down to 40% or so.

BARKBARK!

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Live: active/no treble boost, series, bass and treble about midway.

Recording: passive, series, bass and treble about midway.

4. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    I usually run my L-2000 with the neck pup solo and in series mode passive.

My L-2500 I have modded with single coil inners and I usually run both pups in single coil and active mode.

On both basses I adjust the treble and bass knobs up or down as needed at the time. I install the knobs so that the set screw is about half-way and pretend that is the center detent and adjust up or down from there.

5. raybone

raybone

Jul 14, 2006
    A.C Jersey
    Whatever setting i use on my L-2500, I know that dimeing the volume will usually overdrive (in a bad way) the pre on nearly any amp. So I usualy go 2/3rds volume up. Its hard to get used to doing this because my other basses are usually set to full volume. Of course, they dont have the super duper string bending power of those MFD's!

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I'm still playing around with mine. I do know that I like parallel better also active

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    True. I did rewire the snot out of it! Do you have inner or outer coils in single-coil mode?

8. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    I like to use my L2000 in passive, parallel or single coil(Special K wiring) both pickups with bass and treble to taste. I only use the preamp in active mode now and then. I found a great tone in series, both pickups when you reduce the volume knob a bit. Hope this helps,
    Brent

9. L-2500. Active, series, both pickups. Volume about 3/4s, bass and treble full up. Grindy and thick.

10. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    L-2500. Active, both pickups, parallel, bass and treble full.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    ASAT: Active, no treble boost. Both pickups in series. All knobs full up.

Unless I'm running my OC-2 in front of it...then I need to turn the volume down a little so I don't clip it. I run in passive mode as well, everything else is the same.

12. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Feb 9, 2011
    On my ASAT I usually use passive 90% of the time. I actually use all three pickup settings because the band that this bass excels in plays a variety of covers from a variety of genres. For Johhny Cash/"Folsom" active/bridge. For Gaye/"Let's..." neck/passive. For B. Harp./"Murder..." Both/active. I leave the volume(s)/tone the same. Bass a little more prominent/treble turned down (25%) I use light/Slinky (blue pack), so that bass, aready bright-ish/assertive by nature, needs a little more bass boost. Factor in the venue that we play often is a bass cavern, so I have to tone it down without "toning it down" Sorry so long. I love my ASAT. My Ric is my "me" bass. My ASAT is my tried and true "warrior go-to bass", so I use it often.

13. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Both pickups, series, passive, bass and treble at 75% or so, volume about 85-90%.

14. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I love how different the responses are! It's giving me lots to try. It also shows how differently we all approach the same pickups and controls.

15. Back pickup, passive, series. Bass half way, treble down (unless there's slapping involved). I used to be all about the front pickup, but eventually I switched to the back for more articulation.

The thing about these basses is that there are several really cool tones and you can "evolve" into different ones as you change over the years.

John

16. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    on my tribute l2500
    passive, serie neck, bass 80-90% and tone 40-50%
    and some times both pu´s and same bass and tone, but most time turn down or higher for tone, not much touching for bass
    but im still learning how it is

17. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    This is an interesting thread...

I run my ASAT a couple of ways....passive, series, both p/u's, bass about 75%, treble about 50%, volume about 60-70%

But lately I've been more about the active, with pretty much the same tone/volume/pickup setting as before.

An interesting aside, I run all of my other basses thru my VT Bass, but not the ASAT - it's so freakin' hot it needs no boost in the pre-amp realm!

18. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    depends a lot for my tribby- but generally I prefer passive, both pickups, bass @ least 50% (typically >75% ) treble 50% or less