Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&l L5000??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trent-35, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Hi again guys. Still can't find even 1 G&L bass for sale here in "Music City"(?), but i saw a G&L L5000 on Ebay. The picture of it is fuzzy. I'm just wondering of anyone can give me info on what an L5000 is because i've never heard of it. I've always been a lousy gear head. Thanks, Trent

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Trent, as far as I know, this is a one-pickup (in the sweet spot) version of the G&L 2500 (5-string).

3. i'm pretty sure that doesn't exist. they probably mean L2500.

tsk tsk. that's half as many L's as advertised! flagrant misrepresentation. :D

4. I e-mailed the seller. He said it's an early 90's model and says "L5000" right on the headstock. ?????? Trent

5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

If I remember correctly an L5000 is like a 5-string P-bass. The pickup is a P-style MFD but I think in a 3+2 configuration. The headstock is kind of "funky" - it's not the early G&L that looks very Fenderish or the current one that has the "bump". It looks kind of sickle-ish. So the L5000 is basically a 5-string G&L P-bass (complete with pickguard).

There is also an L5500 model that has EMG pickups instead of G&L MFDs (it's basically the same as an L2500 but without the MFDs).

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes, it is an L-5000. I think it is their first venture into the 5 string market. It's a 5 string P-bass with very tight string spacing. the neck is very narrow. They were made for a while in the late 80's, w/a different headstock, & 4-1 headstock. I think I saw the one on eBay you saw & it says 24 frets. It dosent have 24 frets. I owned one for a while & the string spacing was TOO close for me. The closest I've ever played.

7. Thanks alot for the info. Yeah, the guy added a statement saying it acutually has 21 frets, not 24. I've been told by others that my 5 string Samick has tight string spacing, but it never bothered me. What would you say an L5000 would be worth? The bidding isn't very high on it, only around 269.00. Trent

8. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    I haven't looked at the ad, but the last 2 L-5000's I sold (several years ago) went for $800+/-. There were 2 different headstock designs. These are a bit of a rarity (only about 400 produced between '88-'92), so there were some early ones made before Leo died. They sound great, they sport Leo's MFD split coil 5 string pickup.

Check out GGJaguar's site for info:
    http://www.ggjaguar.com/90l-5000.htm
    http://www.ggjaguar.com/92l-5000.htm

9. wow! really good info spiritfield...... thanks for the links :)

10. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    G & L's are damned fine basses - I love 'em

Jens1 likes this.
  11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I used to own one. They sound great! String spacing is tight though. 15 or 16mm at the bridge.

12. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    You have to be a supporting member to ask that. I will also add that I have always wanted to try out an L5000 but they are not easy to come by.

13. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups
    Indeed. But let it slide. That was asked in 2001 - 9.5 years ago...

Talk about raising a thread back from the dead!

14. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Oh I didn't see that.:eek:

15. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups

16. lol sorry guys ... i just didnt want to start a whole new thread about this bass.

17. Doktor_Fraust

Doktor_Fraust

Jan 16, 2012
    FACTOIDS & TRIVIA

During the 1980s, the 5-string bass began to soar in popularity since it effectively stretched the range of the instrument. In fact, the 5-string bass is considered by many to be the new standard in bass guitars. G&L saw the need to have a 5-string bass in their line-up and Leo Fender designed the L-5000 to meet that need. The L-5000 was a short-lived and rare bass that featured a unique Z-coil pickup. It was not a very popular 5-string, not because of any lack of sonic capability, but because the neck width was not very comfortable compared to other 5-string basses on the market. In 1993, the L-5500, an entirely new model, was released to address the deficiencies of the L-5000 string spacing, and to further expand the tonal diversity of the instrument.

G&L L-5000 BASS (May 1989)

Body: Solid; 2-piece ash

Finish: Black, polyurethane

Neck: 2-piece flame maple, bolt-on

Fingerboard: Rosewood; pearloid dot markers

Number of Frets: 21

Pickguard: Black crinkle powder coated aluminum

Bridge: G&L Locktight, black crinkle powder coat

Nut: Plastic

Tuners: G&L/Schaller, open, chrome

Pickups: One, G&L Magnetic Field Design Z-coil humbucking with adjustable pole pieces

Controls: Master volume, master tone

Scale Length: 34 inches

Neck Width at Nut: 1 3/4 inches

Body Width at Lower Bout: 13 inches

Body Depth: 1 5/8 inches

Weight: 10.4 lb.