1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L LB-100 vs SB1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Runlikegregg, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    This is a thread comparing G&L's SB-1 to the LB-100.
    Most specifically comparing their body shapes.
    I was very hesitant to pull the trigger on the SB-1 because the body never looks good to me in photos. Or at least, not as good.
    But I finally did! And having done so, I do not regret it in the least.
    Here's my analysis.

First, the body is almost exactly the same size as the LB-100 or any Fender P bass for that matter.
    The only differences are in the body contours: the lower contour is the most drastic difference in that it is cut in more dramatically than on the LB-100. The top body contour is slightly more cut in, but really not by much at all. The length and overall width is the same on both bodies and the horns are the same.

In the photos here, I have laid the SB1 on top of the LB-100 to try to show the difference. The lower contour photo is pretty close to reality. For the upper contour photo I had to cheat it a bit because I couldn't get it to show up any other way. The photo of the backs of the 2 basses shows that there seems to be a bit more sculpting in the SB1, but that may just be a result of the slightly more scooped upper contour.

I have a couple photos of me playing the new SB1 on stage and it looks no different than as if I were playing a standard P-bass to me. I've put one here to illustrate.

SO...how does it feel?
    It feels GREAT! I have to say it is an improvement. the difference is very subtle, but it just feels slightly sleeker, slightly more comfortable, and like a slightly finer instrument.
    Again, it's a very subtle difference but there is a difference. My SB1 feels awesome.
    My disclaimer here is that my SB-1 is slightly lighter than my LB-100, maybe by 8 to 10 ounces; enough maybe to notice but not enough to make a huge difference.

A quick note on the SOUND.
    A lot has been said about the MFDs and it's all true.
    They are HOT. They cut through the mix amazingly well. The SB-1 definitely has a more modern P-bass sound with a lot of power and a lot of clarity. But it's easy enough to mellow out the tone by rolling back the volume by 1/4 or more and backing off the tone a bit. It's a fairly wide range of tonal options for a P bass.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. I have a '94 SB-1. I'll confirm the hot pickups. Great bass. When I got mine I was hot for a P bass, but didn't want to spend the coin for a Fender. VERY underrated bass. I have yet to pick up an LB-100, but to be perfectly honest, I still think the L1000 was the best bass G&L ever made. I have two of them.

TMARK likes this.
  3. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I have an 80 L1000. One of the greats.