1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L M-series battery cover

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cleezmo, Feb 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cleezmo

Cleezmo

Feb 25, 2015
    This is basic, I know, but this weekend when I was changing strings on my G&L M-2000, I thought I'd pull the battery cover. I've had the bass about a year and a half, and haven't ever changed the batteries. Figured I'd check the compartment and put a new set in, just in case.

So I removed the two screws...and could not move the cover at all. I mean it doesn't budge.The fit is so tight in the body that I couldn't get a grip with a fingertip of fingernail to move it. I know I could grab a small flathead screwdriver and pry it out, but that will chip the finish.

Curious, I did the same thing on the control cover and it pops off like it should...

Am I missing something? Any ideas on what to use to pry it open without scarring my beautiful black burst finish?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I use a suction cup if it's a smooth surface. Tape if it's not. Stick either one on (make a loop with the tape), and a quick yank usually does the trick - in fact always has done the trick for me. Once off, trim it down a bit to make the future a better place.

bassbenj and ErnieD like this.
  3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    If you've never removed it before, that'd make for the very tight fit. I removed the screws from batt control of my Tribute M-2000 and found it was real tight as well. With my thumb, I pushed down hard on the one end of the control cover. This made it lift up at opposite end slightly where I used the backside of my pocket knife roundest blade to pull up on the cover. Also, I've used a tiny flathead screwdriver into one of the screw holes and was able to lift it up this way.

Fits on there pretty snug don't it? Or you could put small piece of gaffers tape on the end of a pocket knife of small screwdriver to be extra careful not to scratch that area. I've done this and a couple other ways when removing snug batt control plates. Haven't scratched any of my basses yet. Good luck, take it slow.

4. Cleezmo

Cleezmo

Feb 25, 2015
    Thanks for the tips - I will try them this week!

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yep. If it's the usual black plastic cover that most basses have, just takes a bit of sandpaper to the edges to trim it down just a bit.