1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L MFD Bass Circuit & Preamp? (ASAT, L2000)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fu22ba55, Apr 16, 2009.

1. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Howdy,

I see that G&L is now selling their might MFD Bass pickups on their site:

http://www.glguitars.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=182

I LOVE the sound of the ASATs and L2000s, but I can't find a single one that doesn't make my left hand cramp up. The necks drive me crazy.

Anyone know how to go about reproducing the G&L ASAT / L2000 circuit COMPLETELY? We can get the PUs and factory knobs and switches from G&L, but I don't know how to get the circuit without buying a Tribute bass, taking out the circuit and selling the gutted bass on eBay.

Any ideas?

I'd love to throw this pickup assembly in my GIbson RD Artist RIGHT NOW!

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  3. fu22ba55

Apr 16, 2009
    Absolutely NOT handy with a soldering iron. But I have a local tech.

And since I have absolutely no idea how to read schematics, let me ask you this... they're using standard, freely available capacitors, resistors, geegaws and doodads that my tech could purchase and use to build the preamp?

OR, can I pick up a simlair preamp from bestbassgear.com or nordstram that would give me a simiar effect?

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm fairly sure you could purchase one of the preamps from G&L as well (I'm assuming you are talking about the active preamp circuit board?), you just might have to call or email the online store and special order it. The only tough thing to find in the circuit if you wanted to DIY might be the 1 meg reverse-log bass cut pot, although I'm sure those are available if you know where to look (and can be purchased from G&L as well).

Having owned a few G&Ls, my 2 cents is that the active preamp portion of the circuit is the weakest element of the bass- since you'd be building the circuit up from scratch, I think you'd probably be much happier in the long run if you paired the MFDs with a nicer simple buffer preamp (like an Audere without the EQ controls, or even one of those "Redeemer" circuits). You could wire it so that it worked the same in the circuit as the current G&L pre (and still retain the passive treble/ bass cut controls), but I'd be willing to bet that the quality of sound would be noticeably higher. Or you could just pair the MFDs with a nice onboard pre with active EQ and add a passive active switch. Its the pickups that are the true mojo of G&Ls in my opinion- so you could add tons of flexibility and keep the general tone by pairing them with your choice of other options.

Karl

5. fu22ba55

Apr 16, 2009
    I sent them an email about two weeks ago. No response. Maybe I'll call and bug them.

Thanks Karl,

That's helpful.

I played an ASAT for about a year, and got an amazing sound out of it through my SVT (actually a V-9), but I can't remember _what_ settings I was using. I twiddled and tweaked with all the switches etc, and when I found the sound, I just wrote it on masking tape on my SVT (which switches, knobs, etc...)

Well, now both the ASAT and the masking tape are gone, and I want that sound back (in a custom warmoth bass).

I don't know if I was using the preamp, or going passive... if I was using bass or treble boost. Can't remember. Maybe I should spend two hours in GC dialing in the sound and pissing off the staff, write it down, then ask you guys what I'm using from the circuit.

I'll probably wind up paring the MFDs with a third-party premade EQ or preamp to get the same effect. Your recommendations are helpful.

Thanks.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'd just get the MFD's and use a third party preamp. The tone controls on the G&L and passive cut only, so you can get a lot more versatility with a better preamp.