1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L MFD pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nopalfunk, Nov 6, 2013.

1. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Hello there,

I need your help, I'm trying to get close to a Wal sound, but I know... nothing sounds like a those wal's pickups, so what do you recommend me to install in my bass, I asked to Nordstrand and Alan from ACGuitars and seems they can't help me, so I'm considering a couple of G&L MFD pickups...or maybe there's other option out there? a MM pickups maybe?

I found this old thread, but it's old, so maybe now the things changed....maybe not :eyebrow:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/wal-substitute-241297/index4.html

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
  3. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    You can shoot an email to Jerry Sentell http://www.sentellpickups.net/bass.html He told me can make me a Wal type MM pickup and it won't cost me an arm and a leg. You can also specify how hot you want it. I told him if you made a bunch of those they would sell like hotcakes. I guess he prefers to build to order

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1 I have one of his hot PAF style pickups in a Les Paul. A tad too bright, but 10K with a ceramic magnet will do that

5. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    He seems to be very customer friendly. you can tell him exactly what you want and he'll accomodate. For any expensive or custom pickup I always choose alnico. I plan on getting a Wal style to hear what it sounds like

6. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Thanks for the information, and here's the update, Curtis told me can't help me, don't have nothing similar to a wal clone, in the other way, jerry from sentell sent me directly to his online page to see their products, but seems he doesn't have nothing either, so I asked again, but no answer yet....

7. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Jerry is on the way and seems he's preparing something really nice, he'll send me more info about his multcoils pickups, so I'll wait...someone have an opinion about the G&L MFD pickups?

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I love the MFDs. Aggressive sounding, but when that's the vibe I want they deliver.

Matt R likes this.
  9. matejhoyt

matejhoyt

Mar 28, 2006
    Hello,
    I was wondering if anybody had problems playing a G&L M2000 with a pick?
    There's very little space between the neck and bridge pickup, so I found it better to pick the strings between the neck and the neck pickup. It sounds great, but the only problem is that I get a certain clicking noise from time to time due to my aggressive picking technique.