G&L MJ-4 - needs the right strings - Jazz Growl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sands, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Sands

Sands

Dec 11, 2016
    I picked up a G&L MJ-4, swamp ash, honeyburst, with a quarter swan maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.

Used trusty Chrome flats. Tried all kinds of settings, nothing really gave the tone I was looking for exactly. No growl, More of a bark.

So to complicate things more, I start studying pickup upgrades for the MJ-4. Somewhat seriously considered ordering some of the new Fender Noiseless (v4) pickups or noise canceling Nordstrands. As far as I can tell no one has done either on a MJ-4.

Then I read someone saying he had good luck with TI rounds on the MJ-4, and that he felt the MJ-4 needed the right strings to bring the bass to life, so hey maybe it's the strings. TIs are very responsive. Thought maybe the bi coils on a single coil sized design might have some limitations. With Thomastic-Infeld flats on the MJ-4, Wow. Now that is how a Jazz bass should sound. Growls everywhere, single notes, chords, great tone.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    2cooltoolz and mingustoo like this.
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021