1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No longer available G&L MJ-5, like new, 7.5 Lbs, with Nordstrand pickups

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Sparkdog, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    This one hurts but I need to do it. This is a G&L MJ-5 in Empress wood that I purchased new a couple of months ago. I looked for a long time to find one made of Empress because I wanted a lightweight 5 string, and man oh man did I find it. This one weighs 7.5 pounds and is a dream to play. On top of the light weight it has the smoothest playing and most comfortable neck of any bass I own, 4 or 5 string. The fretwork is simply amazing, I have the action set lower than any of my other basses and there is ZERO buzz or rattle anywhere. I'm certain it will go even lower if you have a light touch.

I had only one complaint about this instrument and that was the pickups. They were OK but they just didn't knock me out. I am a huge fan of Nordstrand so I decided to swap out the stock pickups for a set of NJ5FS hum canceling Jazz pups. What a difference that made. These are crystal clear, fat, and warm sounding but still with lots of bite and growl, everything a great Jazz Bass should deliver. The pole pieces are radiused to follow the fretboard so string to string balance is excellent. They work really well with the 18V G&L preamp. When the front G&L pickup was removed one side came unglued from the base plate, I didn't bother re-attaching it because I would never go back to the stock pickups, but noting it here for full disclosure. Bass will ship with the stock pickups in the box.

Other than the pickups and a set of Straploks everything is stock. Bass has a fresh set of Ernie Ball Slinkys on it, which worked the best of the 4 brands I tried.

She has little surface swirls from playing, but no nicks, scratches or dents of any kind. Finish is 2 tone sunburst, very much like a '57 P-Bass. neck has the satin finish with a light tint. Frets are immaculate. Comes in the beautiful G&L tolex hard case with adjustment tools.

I'm selling it because my planned transition to all 5 string all the time is just not working for me. I play with a couple of groups that require the low B on a handful of tunes per night, and even with the hassle of switching basses I'm more comfortable using a standard 4 string and a second bass tuned BEAD. I can't justify a high end 5 string like the G&L just sitting around, so off she goes to a loving home.

I'm $2000 into this bass with the Nordys but I know I won't get that back, so I'm asking $1200 for it including Fed Ex shipping in the USA. I think that is a smoking deal for a smoking bass.

Paypal only please.

MJ5-1. MJ5-2. MJ5-3. MJ5-4. MJ5-5. MJ5-6. MJ5-7.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    dave64o, soulstew, marcwhy and 3 others like this.
  2. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    PM's replied.

Some folks have asked about trade interest, I'm in need of a few things: A nice P/J instrument, high end tube amp or preamp, and lightweight cab(s).

3. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I've decided to keep this instrument, for now at least. I know that it's only a matter of time before a gig comes along where I really have to play the entire show on a 5 string, and having played dozens of 5 strings now I can't find one I like better than this.