Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L/Music Man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lacatts, Sep 12, 2005.

1. I have noticed that the Music Man basses sell (used) for a lot more than the G&L's. Why is this? Were they not both designed by Leo Fender? And did he not say the G&L was his favorite? Help me understand...

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is simply a supply & demand, popularity thing. MM basses are more popular than G&L. (although I believe the gap is narrowing)

Plus, if you talking a real MM, that is pre Ernie Ball, it is a pretty rare bird. So, you have to deal with that whole vintage vibe, collectors' pressure thing.

3. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    MusicMan is more well known. Thus more people will want them. Suplpy and demand.

Plus they are better :ninja:

4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Just guessin' here - could it be strictly a collectibility issue? There are just a lot more G&L's around than there are pre-EB MM's? It's like baseball cards - it's all about how rare they are.

Just a guess.

5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Is 20 years what makes an instrument vintage? Technically?

If so I have a "vintage" '83 G&L L2000. :hyper: I love it! It rocks tremendously. I think used G&L's are some of the best bass values ou there right now. I got mine for $300 and a used Ibanez bass 2 yeares ago. They are gaining in popularity though, so it might not be this way forever.

But, I also am fighting a $1800 case of GAS for a '79 MM stingray right now. Realistically it's rediculous for me to even be considering it...but GAS doesn't descriminate between the rich and poor.

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    A "real" MM? :eyebrow:

7. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Now, 43%, I thought we had cured you of that. Stop it now. Focus on something less expensive. Take your family out to dinner - something. Anything. :D

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Hmm, what on earth am I playing, then?

the is that a real poncho or is that a sears poncho,
    Jack

9. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    ...it looks just like a Telefunken U47...

But remember, Jack: Home is where the heart is --- On the bus!

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I know, i know...Maybe I'll buy another used G&L to ease the pain. :D :help:

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I had a pre EB MM. Great bass, but didn't work for me. I was able to sell it and got a few other toys. Is is worth that much more than a G&L?? If you are comparing things such as versatility, and playability, the G&L is a much better bass (IMHO).

I think the musicman has more collectability because it was the first really publicly available bass with active electronics and the 3&1 headstock which made it really cool at the time. I remember as a kid wanting one and it produced a tone that was think and somewhat familiar.

When the G&L was introduced, it was a bass that had many competitors in the market including Ibanez, Peavey and other companies such as steinberger and Spector creating instruments designs that were unique but still producing sounds that bass players were accustomed too.

The G&Ls were fairly complicated to operate with alot of switches and knobs. If you spent a little time with them they were great. However, bass players weren't accustomed to so many options as we are today. The problem was that the bass was good at many sounds and no one identified a particular sound with the bass....

All that being said it is still a good bass, just never made it on record as a noteworthy bass

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I gathered from somewhere that MM is one of those few brands where new ownership did not diminish the desirability of the marque. New or old are both considered the same. Me? I don't give a flying buffalo.

Besides who wants to play a Ray that feels like a SUB? :bag:

As for G&L and MM, well, MM is better :ninja:

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey Ron,
    I have two G&L's...a 1981 L2000E fretless that I bought new back in the day (guess that makes me vintage too), and a ~2000 Tribute 2500. Both play and sound awesome. Very flexable tonally, and they feel great in yer mitts.
    I think I paid about $700 for the 2000 new, and $400 for the used Tribute 2500 with a hsc. If you like the way a G&L feels (and some guys don't tho I can't imagine why), they are a very good instument for the money-especially a used tribute model.

14. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I had an early Stingray when they first made them, didn't like it and traded it for a '68 Jazz Bass (which was subsequently sold because I had to buy a new car motor). :crying:
    The Stingray just didn't have enough midrange for me, and the string-through-body thing didn't sound good to me either. Now I have an Ernie Ball 5-string Stingray, which I love because of the 4th knob (midrange).
    I admit it: I prefer Ernie Ball MMs.
    :bag:

15. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    You're not alone.

16. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    No, you're not. I prefer my 2004 SR4 3-EQ over my 1980 SR4 2-EQ. The hardware seems better, no stupid string mutes that I never used and only collected grunge, and the chrome seems higher quality on the new one. Time will tell on that last point, though. And, the body is contoured - BIG +1 on that! I swear I used to have a bruised breastbone from my old one.

17. I prefer the G&L's to the MM.

I got to try one out at a friends house, I played it and thought the G&L smoked it. My friend tried my L2000, and agreed.

It's all personal preference though...what works for me may not work for you.

18. Offer/demand matter.....

19. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA

ditto.

I will say that I like the Sterling MUCH better than the Stingray.

20. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Well, as a disclaimer, I clearly have some bias toward EBMM basses in general. I like them a lot and did long before I became a commercial user, as I think most of you know.

I have nothing against G&L at all. A friend of mine and I were talking about these basses and trying to figure out why both of us preferred EBMM basses, and all we could come up with, besides the clearly subjective issues of tone and playability and etc, was that the Stingray is just sexier.