1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Neck Finish Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrentD, Aug 22, 2012.

1. BrentD

BrentD Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Saw a really nice JB-2 at a shop last week that has me jonesing. One thing I noticed is that the finish on the heel end of the neck is uneven. It almost looks like it's missing. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture, but does this look normal to you? The bass is otherwise almost mint. Paperwork, COA, wrenches still in the bag, etc.

[​IMG]

2. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    If that's the only issue - I'd still be Jonesin' for it. Maybe it's a manufacturing flaw or maybe someone took the finish down to improve the joint.

3. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Is it a Tribute?

4. BrentD

BrentD Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    If it's not against the rules, what's the going rate for a used one of these with a premium flame top and a premier finish? It appears to have been purchased fewer than six months ago, and it is the spitting image of the one on the G&L site (honeyburst flame maple).

5. BrentD

BrentD Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    It is not a tribute, it's a USA model.

6. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Guessing 1100 - 1200?

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'm not sure why it looks bare/unfinished but the fretboard looks plump and delicious. If the deal was good I would hit it and maybe apply a touch of tung oil or something similar if the light/bare area bothered me.

8. BrentD

BrentD Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Thanks for the responses. Do others agree with noeinstein on the price range?

9. BrentD

BrentD Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Also, any other opinions about the finish on the neck?

10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner

That's what I'd bet. A swipe of tung oil or Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil would fix that in about five seconds.

11. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I wouldn't hesitate to use that as a reason to get a better deal. It doesn't look normal, even if it doesn't effect playability, and will require you to do a little extra work and possibly take a hit on resale for you.