G&L Neck Options?.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichC, Sep 12, 2001.

1. RichC

Sep 12, 2001
    Jackson, NJ
    After playing an L2000 (with the FAT neck), I'm sold on the tonal variety.

I'll be ordering a G&L2000 in a couple days and need some input as to neck options.

1) I want a Jazz neck (#6) on it. Does anyone have any experience with this neck on a G&L?. Is it in any way fatter (clunkier) than a 2001 Fender Amer Jazz ?.

2) What neck finishing options do you suggest?.
    I've heard laquer, gun oil, etc....

thanks in advance...
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey Rich,

I've had two G&L's with the #6 neck - and it's too small for me. Unfortunately I can't really compare it to a Jazz neck (no experience there). The #5 neck is a little wider than I'd like (1-5/8" at the nut would be perfect for me) but G&L doesn't do that.

As far as options - one of the G&Ls I had either had the gun-oil tint or just a yellowed lacquer-like finish. I did not like it as well as the standard oil&wax finish (which feels silky and unbeatable to me). I like the standard finish.

The #6 neck has a 7-1/2" radius but there's another neck (don't remember the number) with a 10" radius if you prefer a flatter fingerboard. Going custom-order you could get an ebony fingerboard. When I was considering ordering one they said they could do no dots on the face as well (at a cost, I think). You might want to consider the ASAT - it's a little more expensive than the L2000 but the #6 neck is standard (which may make it the cheapest way to get a #6 neck with 2 MFD humbuckers).

I'm eagerly waiting for the return of my L2000 (buying it back from someone I traded it to earlier this summer). It's got the fat neck (which works better than the skinny one for me) and, as you said, unbeatable tonal versatility (or just plain unbeatable tone).
  3. Hi Rich,

I owned a L-2000 with #6 neck.
    I liked that neck as I like my '63 Jazz Fender's one.
    The #6 is beefier in some way, so they are different but I wound't have any problem to buy another one.
    Mine was glossy oil tinted, feature I like more than the usual finish, too prone to get dirty.

More important: try some basses both with ash and alder bodies and choose the ONE you prefer.
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    One of my L-2000's has the #6 neck as well. I agree with what was said above. Though it feels somehow different than a Fender Jazz (my main 4), it is still quite similar in play characteristics. I think it might be a *little* chunkier on the back side, but not so much that it would affect playability. I think if you are used to an Amer Jazz, the #6 would be the easiest transition. Their standard L-2000 neck is more like a Precision neck in my opinion.

As far as finish, I like the standard neck finish. I never tried the gun oil necks, but they look nice. The standard finish is slick and fast though, you won't even notice the wood on the back as you move up and down.

Good luck, let us know what ya get! :)