Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Neck Sizes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, May 25, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'm considering purchasing an L-2000 and have heard that these are available in several different neck sizes. I'm comfortable with both Jazz-style necks and NEWER Precision-style necks(wide and flat).

Basically, which neck size do I stay away from? In other words, which neck size feels like a baseball bat?

2. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Just trying to keep this thread alive. I know there's G&L owners around here somewhere. . .

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The most common size for G&L L2000 necks is a #5 which is similar to a older P-bass or stringray neck (maybe a little smaller than a ray, hard to tell).
    The G&L #6 neck is more jazz like but a lot harder to find on an L2000. Some of ther very newest L2000's now come with a #8 or #10 neck (flatter jazz and P respectively). I have two L2000s and both have the #5 neck. My newer (2000 model) L2000 is a little rounder than my older (1982) model.
    You can custom order a new one with any neck you want, but you are going to pay a lot for it. the best deal on L2000 basses is in the used market. You can find them in excellent condition with a case and everything for about $600, but in most cases they will have the #5 neck.

Hope this helps

-KB

4. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Thanks, KB! That helps out alot. I am looking for a used one so I guess I'll have to sacrifice some playability for the tonal versatility that these instruments provide.

Any other sites for used ones other than Ebay and HarmonyCentral? There's an awesome blueburst one on Ebay right now but it's going to be a little out of my price range.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You could always try the dudepit. here is a link to the G&L page there.

http://pub41.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm44

It is not too hard to get used to the larger neck and you can find used ones with the #6 jazz neck (you'll probably pay more and have to look harder)

-KB