1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L neck splitting at glue line

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Johnson, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson

Mar 18, 2009
    Hello everyone, I have a neck off a G&L L2000 that's splitting along the glue line from the nut to almost the 2nd fret. Split clean thru, from front to back. The truss rod nut was backed off, and I'm wondering if someone over tightened it, causing the split. I removed the truss rod nut and tried to close up the split with a couple of clamps, It hardly closed at all. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas to try to repair this. See link for pictures.

http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/vintage_dave/

Thanks, Dave

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Wow.

That is FUBAR for sure. Is this a G&L or a tribby?

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm definitely not a G&L authority, but I believe they had to do a lot of neck replacements a few years back because of some problem.

If I remember correctly, Chef had a neck replaced.

Might be something to look into.

Bob

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    That sucks, and it isnt even a angled headstock that tends to be more fragile...

5. 69limeRev

69limeRev Supporting Member

May 1, 2007
    Western Pa.
    I wouldn't think that would be in the category of being reasonable to fix.

6. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson

Mar 18, 2009
    It's a U.S. made L.2000 The serial is CLF25042 if that helps. It belongs to a friend of mine.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Doesn't G&L have a 10 year warranty?
    If it's not 10 years old give them a call and ask for a new neck.

8. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I'm NO woodworker but to me, if you've already tried clamping it and it barely moved, my next step would be to call G&L.

If that doesnt work, I'm thinking Warmoth or Allparts.

Good luck!

9. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    G&L 10 year warranty is to the original owner only. Hope your friend is that person! However, even if not, try going to them first via a reputable dealer. ALways worth a try. Good luck.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yes, you want to use the warranty. Problem is, you'll need to send the bass back to G&L. They don't send replacement necks; all work is done at the factory. When my L-1500 needed a new neck, it took a couple of months.

Unfortunately, replacement necks aren't available for G&L basses from Warmoth et al., so if your friend doesn't have the warranty he'll need to go through G&L anyway. I've read it costs about $400 for a new neck.

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I think a musicman style neck works on a G&L as far as pocket size. If you go look at places like Moses Graphite, they use the same neck as a replacement for both.

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Tribby's never used the bi-cut neck method to insert the truss rod. It's one of the big differences between the two.

13. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson

Mar 18, 2009
    Well it's done. If you click on the link you'll see the process from start to finish.
    http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/vintage_dave/

G&L wasn't much help, as the bass was bought used, so I gave it a try myself. What did I have to loose?
    I had to pull the first fret and pop the nut off. Then I was able to draw the split together quite a bit more than with the nut & fret in place. I split some paper thin wedges out of maple and fitted them to the widest parts of the gap, front and back. Glued and clamped it all up. Scraped the glued wedges flush with the surrounding area. Sanded out the scraper marks. Touched up the finish with clear lacquer. Wet sanded and polished it all in.
    Reinstalled the first fret & nut. Looks good to me. The truss rod still works like it's supposed to. Tomorrow I'll put the neck back on, string it up and see what happens.

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sweet.

15. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I'm a day late & a dollar short here, but I had a neck replaced under warranty from G&L. Took over 4 months to get it back. I didn't realize it was for the original owner only....

Good luck man.

16. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    That crack looks real nasty. I'm baffled as to how something like that could happen.

The repair looks great though, did it work?

17. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I've often wondered why more high-end makers don't use set necks or neck-through construction - now I know why

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Wow, very nice work. I would have been most nervous about the truss rod still working. That must have been a relief, so to speak.

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    G&L used to use a bi-cut method where they cut the neck down the middle, hollowed out and inserted the truss rod and re-glued. That looked like the product of a poor glue joint. Peavey T-40's used this method as well. The theory is that since a proper glue joint is actually stronger than the wood around it, this actually strengthened the neck. G&L just recently changed over to a double rod system where the truss rod presses against a 2nd piece of metal instead of the wood to disperse the tension across the whole neck better.

20. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson

Mar 18, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words. I was pleased with the outcome, so was it's owner. The truss rod works fine, I've had it strung to tension for 10 hours or so, played it for a while and threw some faux whammy at it by bending the neck. So far so good.