Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L neck swap help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chef, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Howdy;
    I have a 1981 G&L L2000E fretless. I scored a 1997 G&L 2000 fretted neck the other day...This should just be pretty much of a bolt on swap? Anything I need to know besides take the strings off, remove the three bolts holding the neck on, and install the fretted neck?

thanks, chef

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have a G&L fretted neck sitting here with no body to attach it to. Don't know what year it is. Too bad I didn't know you were looking for one. I put on a Moses graphite neck for the G&L owner and he gave me the original neck as payment.

It looks like it should be an easy swap. You may have to do a slight shim at the most and you'll need to fiddle with the saddles a bit and probably adjust the truss rod, but that's par for the course.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    62bass: thanks!

Anyone else? Never done this, advice appreciated:)

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    It bolted right on. The fit in the body pocket was real tight, but turning the bass over so the back was facing up, it tapped right in. No trussrod adjustment or anything required as of yet...

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Re-reading my initial post, I had the replacement neck as 1987...it is in fact a 1997 neck. One would assume that means from 97 on back would swap equally easily, and probably many years forward as well...

6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    since Leo was involved (to a greater or lessor extent) in the design, I was guessing it would be a simple swap out. great to learn it actually was :hyper:

all the best,

R

7. Until they switched away from the 3 bolt design. CBS/Fender's mishandling of the original implementation of that design completely killed people's faith that 3 bolts could satisfactorily fasten a neck.

I had a 72-74 Tele Custom with the 3 bolt neck- it was horrendous. It would slip in and out of tune if you were as much as playing somewhat aggresively. It wasn't until I got my L-2000 that I realized how nice that design could work, when implemented properly.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I have 72 telecaster bass with the three bolt, it's never given me trouble...looks like the G&L setup from the outside, I've never taken the neck off to look inside...

9. Chef, Care to sell the other neck?

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Negative, but thanks...

11. Please? I just picked up (today)a L2000E that playes great but has some finish checks. It's fretted. Black plate. The electronics are gone (all passive) but I got it for $175. Ha Would love to find a fretless neck to put on it.