Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Neck switching

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sidecar666, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Does anyone know if an ASAT neck will fit onto an L-2000 body? I like the thinner neck of the ASAT but hatre the body style. Is it possible to order a neck from G&L and just drop the new one on (do the holes line up)? Their website wasn't any help with this. :confused:

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Tel. (714)897-6766 Call and ask.

3. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

I believe that ASATs are still using the three bolt 'micro-tilt' neck. I had a 2003 ASAT with the three bolt. My 2003 L-2000 has the six bolt neck.

Russ

4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Yes, it's possible. My understanding is that the necks are expensive, if you can get one (I know of one person who did get a brand new replacement neck through a dealer so it's possible).

Another option is just to look for an L2K with #6 or #8 neck. My first G&L was a brand new L2K with standard #5 neck (1.75" wide at the nut). After a year or so I just couldn't take the width of the neck any more. Now I go for G&Ls with #6 neck (1.5" wide at the nut). They are out there, albeit a bit more expensive than an L2K with a wider neck. SB-2s (my favorite G&L) usually have skinny necks as well.

You can also get a Moses neck built with jazz dimensions and a G&L-compatible neck heel. Not cheap but if you want/like graphite it's doable.

One last possibility is just having your current G&L neck shaved down to the size you want. I looked into this and it wouldn't cost any more than a replacement neck (and might be less - depends on who's doing the work).

I read somewhere that Tribute necks aren't interchangeable with US G&L necks (and Fender/Warmoth/etc necks definitely don't match up).

5. I had mine ordered with the #6 neck back in 98.

That bass with that neck is the shiznit. Y'all.

PS, get it with the gun oil tint finish on the neck.

6. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks alot! You guys have been very helpful!