Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L necks are fine?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Tune, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    I remember yesterday a fellow talk basser here says comments about issues in the G&L bass but i can,t remember what he said,i try to find the threads but nothing,what happend with G&L necks,they have good construction right? :confused:

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I bought a G&L L2000E fretless in 1982, and it's always been issue free...

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    nice to know :)

4. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    Maybe they were talking about the Geddy Lee Fender necks (often refered to as "GL", which I often misread as G&L myself). Note I'm not saying GL's have neck issues, but I know it's been discussed...
    HooBass

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    no is in the G&L thread,but i can,t find the exact quote,anyway i belive they talk about some early model and they have at aftermarket guy that can fix the issue,i believe the newest are issues free and they are very,very high rated.

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Funky Tune, I believe what your thinking of was in the ASAT thread. Not the neck itself- But an aftermarket custom neck plate that has a strap-button on it. Helps make the bass better balanced when using it with a strap.

Edit: I have an '83 L2000 and the neck is perfect, I'd say its held up extremely well considering its 22 years old. I think their necks are constucted very well.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, that's an "anti neck dive strap adapter plate."

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Here you go...keeps the bass from tilting towards the headstock when your wearing a strap.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    dude... my GL... like.. they cut the neck in half and reversed it or something, so it cant warp. apparently.

so i guess they are like rocks.

10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Ohh ok thanks guys,in other words the new one don,t have to be fix with this plate? and also you talk about the ASAT model,the others G&L don,t have this issue? :bassist:

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My g&l neck is great. Rocksolid!

12. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    ok and the sound is? i believe just sound amazing,the G&L 2000 are great basses,maybe better than Jazz Deluxes.... :cool:

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I used to have an 83 G&L L2000, and the neck was solid as can be. Quartersawn neck, so it basically warps into itself, thus improving stability.

The G&L also has microtilt, which helps with the neck angle. And mine had the 3 bolt neck, and the thing was solid as any 4-6 bolt I've seen.

Great tones, very aggressive sounding if needed. Cleaned up nicely in parallel, and the preamp and pickup switching gives you a variety of tones.

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I no longer have my G&L but it was 10 years old when I sold it with no neck problems. btw they have a 10 year warranty so if there ever is a problem....

15. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    10 year warranty? seriously? i imagine no one other brand can match this,no Foderas or Ritter or high end basses.
    if you build a nice build,strong instrument you put this type of warranty because you believe in yuor product,nice basses htey are. :eek:

16. Does G and L still have the micro-tilt adjustment? I wonder why more companies don't offer something like this today... I guess the number of people who think a 1/64" gap will drastically reduce sustain is too great. The additional adjustment could be useful since I end up shimming the necks on most of my production basses anyway.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I had an '85 SB-1 (that Blueszilla now owns) that was a rock. Not a single problem on it, and it moved from Oregon to Florida (in December, no less). Went from a below freezing night in Utah to Treasure Coast weather without so much as a hiccup. Then it went to New Mexico, and was well recieved there.

I think you'd be hard pressed to do better before you up and get a composite neck.

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    The G&L L2K I had had 0 neck issues and I found it to be pretty rock solid.

19. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    1988 SB-1

Absolutely no neck problems yet. :)

20. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The sound is amazing. Incredibly punchy. No matter what bass I play, my G&L sounds just as, or nearly as good.