Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L News: CNC machines installed in Fullerton

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dhodgeh, May 31, 2005.

1. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    FLA-USA
    Just a messenger here.

It was announced on the G&LDP that the company is replacing the pin routers used on the bodies with CNC machines.

Instead of repeating everything posted there, here's a link to one of the discussions on the subject with the text to a message to the dealers explaining the change:

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/gldp/messages/1883.php3

Here's another thread where a few more opinions on the subject have been expressed:

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/gldp/messages/1749.php3

fwiw

D

2. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Thanks for that...This is just weird tho......I was reading one of my bass mags at lunch today. An ad for the G&L Tribute said "Precision CNC craftsmanship". I was woundering what the heck is CNC...

Well with this thread I figured it out.

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Hey, even Sadowskys have CNC bodies. I'm definately all for G&L machining their own hardware too.

4. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I am a CNC operator/programmer, and this is really interesting news....it does take some of the handmade element out of the instrument, but in reality, has no effect on the end product. I can't say I would rather have a handmade instrument than a CNC-ed instrument, as I play and enjoy instruments based on how they sound and play, not how or where they are made. I imagine that the Korea G&L's are CNC-ed already, and they are great for the price.

5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    As long as they continue to put out a quality product, it's nothing to get upset about.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The fact that you can produce parts with a finer tolerance is never a negative. While the 'charm' of hand worked is obviously a plus, I'd think they can raise the overall quality of build across their production while keep cost reasonable. Detail in the 'finishing' work is how people like Sadowsky do it effectively...I'd rather someone put the cash in materials and attention to assembly/finishing than roughing out a body. Time and attention could be spent to unique detail which would be great, IMO.

7. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    wow...After reading some of the replys over there some of them guys are hot.

One thing I would like to know is. Will there be guys losing there jobs because of the CNC Machines?

8. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    this sounds to me like a good thing - and that g&l is looking for ways to be more efficient ...