G&L noob. Advice please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smo, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Hi fella's

I was hoping you could shed some light on this;
    Once i sell my old amp, I'm hoping to use that money towards a bass, and I've been looking at Stingray's and Sterling's mainly, BUT!
    A friend of mine steered me towards the G&L basses.

I recently tried out the ASAT, very cool :) , but I'm curious about the rest aswell.
    Which G&L's are the one's to have? Are there any to stay away from?
    eg. Opinions?

(i play mainly rock BTW, with finger picking)

Thanks again,
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well, for starters, be aware that the bass you have a link to is a G&L "Tribute" bass, which is the imported version of the G&L's. The American G&L's cost quite a bit more, though they are held in very high regard on the boards.

They have very poor resale value, so you can pick one up on the cheap if you watch eBay. If you can find them used, they're only a few hundred more than a Tribute.

The ASAT is identical to the L2000/2500, but with a different body style.
  3. Okay, so what's the actual difference between the tribute and the USA made ones?
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    All hail the mighty Search! Here are the results of a search in the Basses forum with threads that have the word "tribute" in their title.

The more reading material you can sift through, the better!
  5. Thanks mate ...and uh, (ahem) sorry bout the old search thang.
  6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    The only G&L bass I'd touch (not buy, mind you, but I'd play it) is the hollowbody ASAT and maybe the SB-2, but that's just a matter of personal preference...I'm not a fan of their work, you might say.
  7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My one and only experience playing G&L's lead me to a tremendously challenging GAS attack. I played a Tribute (not sure which model now) and a USA L1500. The USA rang out loud and clear, and shuoted at me to take her home - unfortunately, I wan't able to :crying: The Tribute just seemed a bit muted and not nearly as inspiring to play.

I still think about that L1500 and wish I could have pulled the trigger. It's kind like meeting a hot chick and not getting her phone number...
  8. Ive had a ASAT for around 10 years. Was my main axe but just became to hard to play. No horn on the body, so it has bad neck dive when using a strap. But its one of the best sounding basses ive ever owned! Get a USA L-2000, basically the same thing but with a horn.
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used to have a G&L L2000 fretted, an L2000 fretless and an L2500 fretted. They were all great basses. I went to a couple Ken Smith's instead. I still wouldn't mind having my custom L2500 again. Birdseye maple neck AND board, quilt maple top with honeyburst finish. It was nice.
  10. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

First, the days of snagging a USA G&L for $300 are over, kaput.

Second, they're not for everybody, especially the faint of heart. They are usually noisy from a lack of shielding, but the fans either live with it, or fix it themselves.

MFD pups have a lot of horsepower and their own sound. You like it or you don't, but it's addictive.

The list of options/upgrades from G&L is mind-boggling, so you constantly see different configurations of the same models for sale. This creates GAS.

The passive models are hot right now.

The L-1500/Climax basses are obscenely aggressive sounding.

The OEM molded case is'nt that great. But hey, it's FREE with every bass.
  11. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I have a Tribute L-2500. I have no problems with mine, and it makes my house shake. Even the D and G strings can make my teeth rattle.
    I have been thinking about trading my Fender for a G&L SB-2.
  12. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

You'll prolly like the SB, seems like everyone does. An amazing bass with fascinating features. One of Leo's more innovative approaches to control layouts, yet so simple.

While discontinued, the SB-1 is a voracious "slayer-of-other-brands-in-its-class" bass. These high performance P-types are sleepers, and nice used ones are still available for reasonable money. A kickass hand-built USA bass for under $500? It's a no brainer.
  13. Thanks for the input guys.

Wyleeboxer, or anyone else for that matter - you mentioned the ASAT had neck-dive, do all ASAT's suffer from this?

Also - i went to the web-site, and i really can't see the difference electronically between the ASAT, L2000 and the L2500.
    Have I missed something?
    Is it really all about wood, weight, shape? Could i expect any difference in build quality too?

Thanks everyone! :D
  14. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Anytime you see the number "5" in a G&L's name, it's a five string bass. So the difference between the L2000 and L2500 is that the L2000 is a 4 string and the L2500 is a five.

I believe a prior post said that there is no difference between the ASAT and L2000 other than the body type.

Electronically, they're the same.

I play an L2000 which I love. Big and ballsy and feels great. Plays super fast.

I'm also looking at SB-2s. If I find one at a good price with the right neck, I'munna get it. G&Ls, in my opinion, are the most innovative basses in their price range and the best value around.
  15. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Seriously, get a L2000 (old or new) and you should be pretty happy. Versatile, roadworthy and just a good bass to have in your collection. Mine was a L1000 which is pretty modded out (to a L2000 pretty much) and I LOVE it. I think it sounds better than my other basses which are alot more expensive.
  16. Not always...

The L1500 is a 4 string, while the L1505 is a 5 string.
  17. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    I stand [sit] corrected!
  18. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Alright now people enough with all of this G&L Talk.....ouch....ummm....real bad G.A.S pains.[​IMG]

I would reall like to get this one here...SB-2.

It has taken me almost a year now to really appreciate the sound of my Tribute G&L...I'm still a little brainwashed on that the USA Fender bass sound is the only sound. :D

I would really like to have an ASAT someday as well. My reason is because it looks like a Tele...Which when it comes to guitars is my Fav.

have fun