Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L OR MUSIC MAN

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 4, 2002.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I just wanted to know every ones take on this this. It is not a bass i am thinking about buying but i just wanted to know every ones prefernce. I have played both i like G&L but the p bass for a neck width kinda slows it down a bit. But when it comes to electronics i think the 1500 can have moore versitility . G&L also seems not as much $ as a sting ray or sterling

2. Hey Major, how's that Casady doing? :)

I own a Stingray and just love it. I've never played any G&Ls, but, from what I've heard they are equal to any Stingray or Sterling, just different. Hey, Leo designed them both. That should speak for itself. (I don't think he designed the Sterling)

G&L is at the top of my list when I start thinking about getting another bass. I refuse to pick one up in Sam Ash because I know I will buy it, and then I'll get my head bashed in.

I like my head. Keeps my hat in place. ;)

Mike J.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

mike just pm you please respond

4. I love Music Man basses. They are certainly one of a kind. The G&L's are great, too, but I've found that they are not for me. I think they may be TOO agressive for me. ;) But to each their own.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I own two stingrays, the G&L are also good, just a different flavor. My tastes tell me that the G&L headstock looks terrible. ;)

6. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    I have both a StrinRay and an L-1500. I like the StingRay better

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I play a Stingray piezo 4 and a G&L JB-2. Apples and oranges. Love them both. That's why I have one of each.
    Doc

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, I'd go for the L-2000. Awesome super versatile, great sounding bass & you could order one with a #6 neck which is a Jazz neck.

9. I'd go for the L2000 as well. Oh wait ....I DID go for the L2000.......you can squeeze more tones out of the L2000 , but you may like the Ray tone anyway.......so try them both if you can , or listen to some G+L sounds at www.glguitars.com

10. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'm another that prefers the L2000 to the 'Ray. Mine has the #6 neck (1-1/2" wide at the nut, 7-1/2" radius) since I can't deal with wide necks (I originally had one with the #5 neck (1-3/4" wide at the nut, 7-1/2" radius)).

I went from a Stingray to an American Fender Precision Deluxe to an L-2000 looking for what I wanted in a bass sound.

I've had single pickup G&Ls (the older Climax model that preceded the L-1500) and while they are more aggressive and biting than the L-2000 they don't have the depth of tone. And they (used G&Ls) can be had way cheap. The Climax basses I've had all cost $450 - you can't come close to a Sterling for that price.

But YMMV - it depends on what tones you want. And you can't go wrong with either a Musicman or G&L bass in my book.

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Mark me down with the G&L fans. I FAR prefer the L-2000 to a Ray anyday. The L-2000 is such a great bass for certain types of music. Though it's versatile, I don't even find that to be a selling point for me these days. I typically run both pups on, parallel, active mode. Then I set the treble and bass to taste. The L-2000 cuts through a mix very well, and has plenty of deep bottom. It's true what they say, better to be felt than just heard. ;)

12. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Not to jump on the bandwagon, but....
    I play a G&L ASAT.. and it's not going anywhere. I absolutely love it... If I were buying a new (to me) one, I'd probably go for the L2000 over the ASAT simply for better physical balance (same electronics).

That said... I WILL have a Stingray one of these days, fo' sho'. (in addition to my G&L, not a replacement)
    :)

Important note: if you're on a budget, there is NO better value in a bass than that of a USED G&L. Just my opinion, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

13. I am a very happy L2000 owner. Once owned a stingray and hated the thing. Could not buy a decent sound. It was built very well though. My L2000 is also built well and just seems to have all the tone and ability to change tones that the ray never had. I got the wider neck on the L2000 as well, just seems comfy for a dude with pretty big hands.

14. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    [​IMG]
    Easy, both!

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    G&L is definety my pick unless you are talking about a fretles Sterling with piezo's.

I love my L-2500. It just kicks major booty.

Tons of available tones, and agressive as hell! Of course it doenst need to be so agressive. Just use light touch, and roll back the volume and treble a bit for a smoother tone.

I love my G&L so much that I know that no mater what basses I get in the future, and no matter how much money I have, G&L's will always be a major part of my rig.

Peace
    Nick

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Well, i'm gonna have to go with the 'Ray. I've had it for just a smidgen over a year and it's still my favorite bass. I recently bought a '02 P-bass dlx and a '02 J-bass dlx V and although those are incredible basses, I still find myself playing the 'ray the majority of the time.

That being said. I would love to own a g&l one of these days. Excellent basses. Decide which one you want first and play that one 'till you save up enough for the other. Check out a pic of my sweet baby ray.