1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L output jack. Switchraft 15x... do they really go bad, or?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ultra60, Feb 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I have a relatively new G&L L2000. If I use a Fender cable, the signal shorts out occasionally. The cable plug is semi-loose in the jack. If I use a different cable, the plug is tight with no signal issues.

So is it really the Switchcraft jack, or is it that some manufactured "supposed" 1/4" plugs are a little smaller, and not a good match with Switchcraft?

I seem to recall this issue, from many years back, dealing with Hamer guitars and basses, which used the same jack.

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    1/4" Phone plugs are made in many sizes due to manufacturers across the big pond not following strict conversion from the British inch system to metric in the 1960s to make cheap guitar cords, as best I can tell. They fudged a little here, a little there, changed the profile of the tip and your type of situation arose. IMHO, Switchcraft is the standard. If anything I have has a "1/4" phone jack" that doesn't work well with a Switchcraft 1/4" phone plug the jack gets changed. This system was invented in 1878 for manual telephone systems. Plenty of history that wasn't followed.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    all of that, and also those barrel jacks do go bad fairly quickly, like within a few years of frequent use.

LoveThatBass, ultra60 and Growlmonkee like this.
  4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yep, all of the above.

I had some cheap bargain Sam Ash cables and all the plugs were undersized that caused the basses to cut in and out. I also have some ultra expensive cables I acquired (someone gave them to me I didn't buy them) and I don't remember if they were "monster" or not, but of that ilk and all were oversized! I think the idea was supposed to be to try to make better contact in a loose jack but the problem was they caused jacks to loose tension.

Which brings up the subject of barrel jacks where you can't just bend something to get tension back. Barrel jacks are notorious for going bad and needing replaced in a couple of years. So unless you are willing to rework the whole bass, jack replacement is just the "cost of doing business".

5. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    A stereo barrel jack should cost about $10-15. I know it sucks but that's what drops in without any modifications. I just had to replace my 1505's jack and it works like it should now.