Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Sep 29, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of buying a G&L L2500. Describe what your's sounds like and some it's pros and cons.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hard to describe what they sound like because they get lots of sounds. Very versatile electronics package. Very solid and clean construction. Usually can be had for a very good price nowadays if you buy used. That's the pros.

Cons: Although I really like the G&L L2000, I've not heard a G&L 5-string with what I consider to be an acceptable B-string. I know that others are satisfied with theirs, but IMO they aren't on a par with a Stingray 5 (which is in the same price range). I also find them to be very heavy.

Just like anything else, try several and choose the one that feels and sounds the best.

3. I've had one since August,and all I need to say is the the L2000 series is beautiful.In my opinion,these are the pro's and con's:

Pro's:
    This bass is full of sustain
    Diverse range of sounds
    individual adjustable p^ magnets
    it is smooth as hell
    it can be string thru body,or thru bridge

there are 3 knobs and 3 levers(p^s,bass boost\cut,preamp on\off\treble boost.so the sound is super customizeable

Con's:
    The feel is so different that your playing style can be altered
    It needs a tad more action once you get it

The Magnetic Field Humbuckers are so powerful that you shouldn't play near a TV or Monitor,cuz the electricty will make you feel ****ty

I hope you get to purchase it,I am in love with mine, and a lot of people I know a lot of people that say it is the best bass you can get your hands on for under $2000 w\o custom jobs.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned 2 L-2500 & 2 L-5500 & the B's on all of them were excpetional. The older L-2500's that were made out of solid Ash were VERY heavy but the newer oner that have the American Tilia (poplar) w/Ash top are much lighter. I'd sat go for it. I don't think that you will be disappointed.