G&L Premium L-2000 C.F.S. are these the top of the line G&Ls?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, May 31, 2018.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    found another oddball G&L L2K this one sez PREMIUM predominantly on the headstock face and also includes C.F.S. which means Fujigen's Circle Fret System. anybody got a lead on the Premium / C.F.S. versions? the best I could come up with is a Japan connection / MIJ and there may be differences in the electronics with a coil tap addition and slimmer neck. sounds like these should command a higher than usual price to USA models but this blonde on black beauty is only $400 in v good cond. what's up with all this?

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    They are MIJ, never seen one in person.

3. wmmj

wmmj Gold Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Until about 2 years ago (during the time of the previous Japanese distributor Kurosawa), Fujigen built the non-export “Premium” line. Pricing wise, Tribute < Premium < USA

Jazz necks, Fujigen’s “circle frets” (some fancy thing related to th curvature of the frets and perpendicular to the tangent...). I think same electronics as the USAs, but wood sourced according to there usual business.

Japan’s guitar market has been traditionally been big compared to other non-US countries, so similar arrangements were very common. Fender (long history), Gibson, Schecter, Lakland, ... Furthermore, a lot of brands first did their “underbrand” / cheap line in Japan before moving to Korea and eventually China or Indonesia

TDR1138 and Bass V like this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    thanx!
    whatever the CFS is it didn't impress as anything special, but the near-Jazz neck felt good, and overall it was pretty light. $500 is the tag so I doubt I'll jump but they do give 3mos trial... it was ok in feel, my Tribute is ok, I think I'm good.

5. PDavis

PDavis

Apr 21, 2015
    Interesting! Was this listed online? I’d like to see it!

6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021