Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L PRICES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 15, 2002.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I went in to a music store on long island that is a G&L dealer and asked for a price on a ASAT semi hollow bass with binding and matching headstock. I got a price of $ 1400 what do you think.

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I dunno.. in my honest opinion, I think that might be a little too high.. you should check other online stores (BassNW, BassCentral) and see how much theywould sell it for... then maybe you could do a price match to get them even...

DM

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yes, definitely check out other dealers, that sounds WAY high.

Used deals can be had for real bargain prices too.

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You can probably get a used one easily for less than 1/2 of that

5. Try "Matt's Music" on-line...he should be able to beat that price easily. Good Luck!

6. MAJOR METAL

I just to double check with every one that is the semi hollow right. I really dont think that bass could be that high, it is probably just another Long Island music store being greedy.

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, I don't think there's any question this store is being greedy with that quote.

You could try getting quotes from these dealers, who knows, maybe the local store will match price? At any rate, these dealers could probably come in hundreds less than $1,400. I would check Ebay for used deals too, you could probably score an ASAT for a fraction of the 'new' price.

Bass Northwest
    Bass Palace
    Buffalo Brothers

Of those dealers, I've only dealt with Bass Northwest, but I believe they all deal in G&L's.

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Those 3 dealers are all good and you can also check out:

ktjmusic

Just another option for you.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Good call, I forgot about KTJ. I remember a time when they had the lowest prices I could find on new G&L's. Not sure where they fit into the mix these days. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still the lowest.

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If Semi Hollow and binding aren't necessarily your main reason to get one, I know a music store in Cleveland here that has an Asat, Natural ash, brand new with case for $939 marked...

It's new old stock and they don't deal G&L anymore, so you could probably snag it cheaper.

11. MAJOR METAL

ROJO
    Thank you very much for letting me know about that but i really was looking for semi hollow. Is their any thing that i could look out for for you.:)

12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    An L-2500 5 string, newer model, used slightly, cheaper than $929 new. That one site (ktj) has some good prices on G&L, but I'd be wary if they have it in stock or not.
    But also... I'm dreaming unless a deal comes along that I can't pass up. I need a job first :)

Ebay is a decent place for the Asat (well, 4 strings in general). I've seen a few from the OK Vintage Guitar Store, but I'd just offer him a deal and see if he bites. Some of his are a bit overpriced, but I'm sure he'd love about $1200 or so for one.

I'll let you know if I find anything as well.

13. I have my new L-1500 on order from KTJ Music. they beat another leading G&L dealer by a full hundred bux.

Ask for Pat. Nice guy, and easy to work with.