1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Pricing Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Immigrant, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Yes, I have a supporting membership.;)

I have a mid-'90s G&L L2K fretless for sale here and I've had little response to the posting, so I figure I must be way off base on the asking price. Well, that and its a purple fretless. I did a little research prior to placing the ad here and thought my asking price may be in the ballpark but since I've had no responses, I thought I'd ask the braintrust here what they would price this bass at if it was theirs to sell.

Heres the post:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-90s-g-l-l2k-fretless-w-hsc-1026336/#post15052844

And a quick photo:

SDC13722.JPG

Thanks in advance for any help I may receive!

2. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Price is likely the LAST issue here. The price is great, but...
    A. Niche manufacturer
    B. Niche set up (Fretless)
    C. Niche color

Just not that many folks looking for such a specific instrument. And I say this as a G&L owner, and lover of unusual colors :)

Best of luck.

3. Can it be because of the exotic color? The price is quite generous already.

4. BTW, if I had the money, I'd grab that in a second regardless of the color.

5. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    I think the price is more than fair. Thinking with the unusual color it's more a matter of waiting for the right buyer than anything else, unless you went crazy aggressive on the price.

Wish I had the cash myself - have a mid 90's L2K inbound and would love to have a fretless companion for it.

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I bumped your ad. Very low price for a US L2K. Fretless and purple not withstanding!

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Awesome price. If I wanted a sparkle purple unlined fretless 3 bolt G&L I'd be all over it :)

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I agree. Price is right. With your "price drop" you are right on what I paid for my used G&L fretless L2500.

But demand isn't going to be huge. Lots of people don't like the fat neck or knobosity of an L2k. The color may put some people off (mine is blue burst which I love and I'm not generally swayed by a bass color but many people are) And if you look at the "what bases do you own" poll you can see that fretless basses are way down on popularity.

And the fact that I love my G&L L2500 fretless bass as probably the best sounding/playing bass I own is a bad sign. Usually the things that I find great (like 6 string P/J basses) are usually only liked by maybe three other people in the world.

Your job is to find those three other people and sell one of them them your bass! ;)

9. Thanks for all the responses and kind words!

Yes, the color is somewhat polarizing and I knew that would steer most people away from it, even though it was one of the things that drew me to it in the first place! I wondered who would order a purple sparkle fretless near the end of the hair metal days?

As far as the neck profile, to me it seems really thin and narrow, almost J-bass like. I have a Classic '50s P and the nut width and front-to-back profile are larger on it than the purple nerple. That's what we call it around here.

Thanks again for the responses (and the bump)! It really is a sweet bass and if I wasn't concerned with needing to eat, I'd surely keep it around. :smug:

10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    FWIW I love the color, and if I were looking for a fretless I would be really happy to pay that price. Someone out there feels the same way and is looking for a fretless, it might just take a while for thi person to find your ad.