Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L problems!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jul 22, 2001.

1. i've just about made up my mind about buying a G&L L-2000, and now i keep hearing owners of L-2000's that always say that their L-2000's preamps are fried, shot, or working very badly. From what i hear, these basses aren't the most reliable things on the market.

would someone please shine some light on the subject?!?

2. I own an L2000

www.geocities.com/feliyaling2/AKGproduction.html

It's true that the preamp would "overload"/distort if cranked or put all the way up. However, they are extremely great basses!! Not only it is MO, but many others. I have nothing but praises about the tone out of my L2000 Alder/maple. It's a simple problem i think. Simply put the volume pot 3/4 up, and problems solved!

They are awesome in passive/active; it has both P-bass & J-Bass sound put on steroid. Great neck feel, nice body that's light weight, strong 6 bolt neck-body connection. And really cool retro yet funky looks to it. That's just my personal opinion:)

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The pre-amp on my L-2000 is malfuntioning due to user error!!!!:D

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    uh, I tried to reply to this and started a new thread, man am I a bass player or what. Sorry bout that

5. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I have 2 L2000's on e fretted and the other fretless. They are both 93' and play awsome. Would not have any other bass, can get so many different tones out of them. The preamp was fried in my fretless so i called G&L, and they are sending me a new one free. Also had a buddy who had the same thing and he sent them the bass back and they replaced it free, just had to pay shipping. Keep in mind that both my bass and his were close to 10 years old and G&L fixed the basses with no questions. I am not even the original owner. So a 10 year transferable warranty says more to me than a few preamps burning out. Ifd you chose one, try to get a used one cuz you can get em pretty cheap used. I have seen newer models selling for $600 or so. Sometimes on ebay for $400, rediculous. Good luck

6. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    there we go, love the edit feature here at talk bass!

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a slight problem with my preamp. Of course it's twenty years old;)

8. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I have 2 L-1505. One is a custom order, the other I got from BassNW (new 800 bucks.. can't go wrong with that).

The preamp is made to distort at full volume, so just don't turn it up! I fixed mine so the volume stays at around 5/8s up. I also change the treble knobs to mid-range ones. I wish they hand a 3 band eq.

The only problem I have is that the neck is fussy... they need a truss rod adjustment (at one of mind does) every month or so... nothing major.

I took only one bass on a 3 week van tour and it held up find.. we were constantly going to stores in strange towns to get my guitar players Gibsons fixed and one we had to replace.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    My L-2000's are fairly new, but I've not had any of the problems I've seen posted in the forums.

10. My L-2500 was acting up, but all it wanted was fresh batteries...Those big humbuckers eat batteries... I get about 1 show and half a practice per 9-volt......I thought it was my pre-amp, all it was......."BATTERIES"

11. I brought my L2000 to many cities in Asia by air. And if you know how unprofesional the airlines handle stuff you'd be freaked to want to bring your basses anywhere by air here. Even with all those nightmares, my L2000 is behaving well. Also considering the extreme humidity outside to extreme weather changes indoor(with air-con), my bass is still doing great.

Mind you, my bass was bought in Seattle(bassnw), so the model I have would be the American model(if they make any model specifically for the asian that is)

So bottom line, they're great basses in general. Ofcourse with any thing, you might get stuff that was defect since it was in the factory, so check and make sure you get the good stuff before you buy one.

12. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I have an L-2000 and I absolutely love it, no problems at all.