G&L Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott_Petersen, Aug 4, 2000.

1. Scott_Petersen

Jul 25, 2000
    I think I am sold on buying a G&L in the near future but I am debating between an ASAT and an L-2000.

I will admit that I have never played a G&L but I have a P-Bass that I love. From what I can tell these two G&L models will offer the same (or even better) playability as the Fender with a much greater range of sounds available.

Basically I am wondering if the differences between the L-2000 and the ASAT are purely aesthetic or if one is a better instrument than the other (I like the looks of the ASAT better). Also are they comfortable basses to play? I have a '76 Rickenbacker 4001 that sounds great but I rarely play because the sharp corners on the body rub my wrist raw and the bridge rips up my fingers.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a G&L 2500 - same shape as 2000, but 5-string. You'll find that balance on ASATs is off - the upper bout is just not long enough, so ASATs tend to be neck-heavy. I'd go with L2000, which has great balance and is very comfortable to play. Also note that G&L makes necks in several different shapes...look for the one that suits you.
  3. Scott_Petersen

Jul 25, 2000
    That is exactly the kind of info I needed before I jumped into this blind. What you say makes perfect sense and I think I'll go with the 2000 now.

Thanks again.